Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Charities Board

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team, with limited resources, but we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand.

At this time, please note the Charities Board should only be used by registered charities and not include personal posts. I’m afraid we will have to delete any posts that aren’t from a registered charity. If you are facing personal financial difficulties at the moment, please use MSE’s coronavirus guides – they contain all the info we have and are constantly being updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

Basic laptop or tablet with data for charity run community pool

in Charities
1 reply 43 views
justkeepgoingjustkeepgoing Forumite
6 Posts
Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm looking at getting a basic laptop or tablet for use at a charity run community pool.  We simply need it to access google drive and an online membership system.  There is no telephone line so we would also need data access.  Due to no income last year and potentially limited income this year we need to do this as cheap as possible.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  My first thought was to see whether we could find someone to donate an old tablet or laptop and get a dongle but I'm now wondering whether there is a better alternative e.g. network deal

Replies

• glennevisglennevis Forumite
    449 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    No need for a mifi device if you tether the tablet/laptop to your mobile phone, which involves creating a wifi hotspot for the tablet using the phone's data plan. A lot of mobile service providers allow tethering.
    That would work if you had more than one volunteer who used the laptop, provided mobile reception at the pool is good and they were all happy to tether the laptop to their mobiles.
    You might find a volunteer who is willing to donate a suitable device if they are upgrading. Google Drive and a membership system don't need the latest hardware.