ESA and prescription glasses?

Options
Anyone any idea how this works for free eye tests and a voucher towards glasses? (As I understand it)
I was on ESA last time I had a test but paid for test and paid for new glasses as I wasn't aware of the scheme. 
I have an upcoming test coming up but planning on going to a different opticians. 
Does it include sunglasses? 
What evidence would they need. Is the end of year tax form for this year enough as I believe it's all I have. 

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Whether you're entitled to free NHS eye test and voucher towards glasses will totally depend which ESA you're claiming. If it's Income Related ESA then this will entitle you. If it's Contributions based or New style ESA then this doesn't automatically entitle you.

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 June 2021 at 9:55PM
    Options
    Anecdotal stuff about the sunglasses, but I've used the voucher in Specsavers towards a pair of glasses (I think I paid about £15?) and got a free pair of sunglasses as part of their 2 for 1 offer. About three years ago now, so worth asking whichever optician you're using what their rules are.

Edit: also I don't think they needed proof of anything, just my NI number, but as I said, it was a long while ago and rules might vary in different opticians. 
  • Blackout05
    Blackout05 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mnoee said:
    Anecdotal stuff about the sunglasses, but I've used the voucher in Specsavers towards a pair of glasses (I think I paid about £15?) and got a free pair of sunglasses as part of their 2 for 1 offer. About three years ago now, so worth asking whichever optician you're using what their rules are.

Edit: also I don't think they needed proof of anything, just my NI number, but as I said, it was a long while ago and rules might vary in different opticians. 
    How much is the voucher actually for out of interest? 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mnoee said:

How much is the voucher actually for out of interest? 

See link. https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/opticians/nhs-voucher-values-for-glasses-and-lenses/

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback