999 after so many years of debt!

Options
After battling for over 10 years finally all defaults have dropped off only £1800 now on a 0% cc and a Experian score of 999! It's been worth the wait. Good luck and persevere is my message to anyone else working hard to get a perfect credit rating!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just so you know, 999 doesn't mean perfect credit rating, just that someone who doesn't lend you money scores you using a fictitious number that no lender will ever see
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ^^^ This.  Sorry, not meaning to put a damper on your no-doubt hard-won battle against debt, but the "999" means absolutely nothing.  No lender will even see it, let alone use it.
    You can, however, take comfort in the fact that the data contained within your credit file (which is seen and used by lenders) will hopefully now contain far more positives than negatives.
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    col81 said:
    After battling for over 10 years finally all defaults have dropped off only £1800 now on a 0% cc and a Experian score of 999! It's been worth the wait. Good luck and persevere is my message to anyone else working hard to get a perfect credit rating!
    Congratulations on sorting your debts out, however that 999 number means diddly squat as no lender sees it or uses it. 
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • Mappedupuk
    Mappedupuk Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi did you clear all the defaults or did they just drop off after 6 years or do you still pay towards them? Thanks 
  • col81
    col81 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi did you clear all the defaults or did they just drop off after 6 years or do you still pay towards them? Thanks 
    I have been in a DMP with stepchange for about 7 years i got this from £25k to £11k then found out a couple of them didnt have CCA's so i stopped paying them and they all dropped of in the las 12 months or so. I also negotiated low settlements with some. It has been a long battle causing me a lot of sleepless nights but i got there
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Any default drops off your file after 6 years regardless. That doesn't mean you don't owe it or that it's not enforceable. Some people use the technicality of lack of CCA to get out of paying their debts 
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Congratulations on winning "Credit Score Numberwang".
    Sarcasm aside, great end result for you, now save like mad and aim never to use credit again! :smile:

Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mcpitman said:
    Sarcasm aside, great end result for you, now save like mad and aim never to use credit again! :smile:

Why would you not use credit? Paying interest is bad for sure but a well maintained credit card will give not only S75 protection but also things like cash back
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mcpitman said:

Why would you not use credit? Paying interest is bad for sure but a well maintained credit card will give not only S75 protection but also things like cash back
    OK..... for the pedants..... "aim never to use interest bearing credit again!"

It's the thought process, behind preparing for emergencies etc with savings, or for further clarity not relying on (interest bearing) credit.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mcpitman said:
    mcpitman said:

OK..... for the pedants..... "aim never to use interest bearing credit again!"

It's the thought process, behind preparing for emergencies etc with savings, or for further clarity not relying on (interest bearing) credit.

This isn't a matter of being a pedant. Saying "don't use credit" is not remotely like "don't pay interest on debts"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback