MSE News: Car and home insurers to be banned from charging existing customers more than newbies

Replies

• MrFrugalFeverMrFrugalFever Forumite
    278 Posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Well I’m a cynic Sandtree and will believe when it personally benefits my wallet!
    Current Debt - NOV 2021 - £6,543 remaining
    DFW BY MARCH 2022 LATEST
    New for 2022 - LISA savings challenge £4,000 by March 2023 - Starting April 2022
    Nectar savings challenge for 2022 - £50 (for Xmas shop)
    Cashback from cashback card saving challenge this year - £50 - Save the cashback and transfer to HTB ISA
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I’m a cynic Sandtree and will believe when it personally benefits my wallet!
    Assuming you follow the advice of this website then you will feel the detriment not benefit.  The benefit is intended to be for, predominately, older customers who've not switched insurer or done new business quotes for a decade and is currently paying well over the odds
  • MrFrugalFeverMrFrugalFever Forumite
    278 Posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Absolutely, my comment was more in relation to the regulators doing what you suggested. Either way, those of us who shop around won’t feel the benefit as you suggest.
    luckily I’m of the age where insurance has become far more ‘reasonable’, but I still think there’s room for improvement!
    Current Debt - NOV 2021 - £6,543 remaining
    DFW BY MARCH 2022 LATEST
    New for 2022 - LISA savings challenge £4,000 by March 2023 - Starting April 2022
    Nectar savings challenge for 2022 - £50 (for Xmas shop)
    Cashback from cashback card saving challenge this year - £50 - Save the cashback and transfer to HTB ISA
  • kaMelokaMelo Forumite
    932 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I've done some more thinking on this one and still don't see how it can possibly work to the benefit of customers
    The theory and resulting headlines garner wide support but the implementation will never be that simple, indeed I cannot think of a single instance where a regulator has got involved in pricing control without unintended consequences to the detriment of the majority of people.

• lonibralonibra Forumite
    365 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    While these new regulations will no doubt mean that I (like most other active MSE folk) will pay more than we are now, this is long overdue and I am wholly in favour of it.

It will reduce the ability of insurance firms to continue ripping off existing clients who are vulnerable, not internet savvy, have language barriers, etc.

Well done to Martin and Citizens Advice for pursuing this doggedly over the past 3 years and getting things to this point.
  • unkleunkle Forumite
    338 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Anyone who shopped around will likely pay more in future.
    Anyone who didn't shop around will likely pay less in future.
    It's just evening everything up, quite rightly, but they'll be as many unhappy people as happy people over this for sure, but it's certainly fairer overall.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there anything that stops insurers offering any other "incentives" to new customers?

Free cover for XYZ in the first year? 
    "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!

* I shall only get involved in new threads, once a dialogue has been established with the OP *
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or bigger cashback on quidco for example.
  • edited 5 June at 11:01PM
    SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 June at 11:01PM
    Sea_Shell said:
    Is there anything that stops insurers offering any other "incentives" to new customers?

Yes, the rules state how these should be factored in... anything that is cash or cash like has to be considered so new and renewing customers are equal but non-cash (eg free cuddly toy) doesn't.  See page 19 of https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/policy/ps21-5.pdf 

roddydogs said:
    Or bigger cashback on quidco for example.
    I wonder how these indirect promotions will be considered... in days of old this was really marketing budget given to advertisers and just these advertisers decided to give part of that fee on to the person that had earned it to them. They are clearly now much more established and may be considered differently. 
  • edited 5 June at 9:29PM
    Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 June at 9:29PM
    Sea_Shell said:

Aviva just did it now, free legal cover for first year.  They came up cheaper for me, so renewal down ready for end of the month and also £30 cashback added in.