Salary sacrifice benifits

Options
Hello! Recently I started working in the new place and new employer has auto enrolled me into salary sacrifice scheme. I've read all the plus and minuses of it (especially related to taxes). But I still do not understand few things.
Salary sacrifice is beneficial for both employee and employer (both are paying less taxes) so ideally the employer should pay more than 3% in case of sacrifice scheme (which it is obliged to pay). And my employer is paying exactly 3%.
I was wondering if the employer doesn't share the benefit of paying less taxed in the form of bigger top up percentage, wouldn't it be better to switch to deductions scheme and have 3% from bigger salary (although I would get 5% from taxed salary). It is so complicated, would be good to have a tool to calculate those numbers.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,637 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    with salary sacrifice you benefit from avoiding paying NI too which is another 12% if you are a basic rate tax payer
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a tool, it's called Excel or GoogleSheets.

SS saves you 12% NI over and above a standard deduction system, both save you income tax.

It also saves your employers NI contribution but they are not obliged to share that with you although some do.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The employer doesn't save any tax via salary sacrifice.

They do save National Insurance but this can mean the employer sometimes pays the NI saving (or part of it) into the pension.  I don't think they generally pay an extra % due to this.
  • CookieMonster
    CookieMonster Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left. Tom Waits
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your employer seems to think that they are better off keeping most of the 13.8% employer NI that they save, paying only 3% in. That might be true.

Say most employees are taxed at higher rate on their pension contribution money. They save only 2% NI on their contributions above their matching level so they might as well make extra contributions to a non-work scheme to get maximum flexibility. In this case, the employee gets the full income tax saving and loses the 2% NI saving but the employer loses the whole of their 13.8% NI saving.

For basic rate employees the employee saves 12% NI above the matching level. That's a bigger loss than 2% so it's more likely to be enough to get their contributions paid into the work scheme.

When my former workplace consolidated schemes I used this logic to get them to share half of the saved employer NI to encourage higher rate tax payers to use the work scheme for extra contributions. If your place similarly has lots of higher rate tax payers they might change. If most are basic rate they might rely on the 12% employee NI to do the job. No harm asking.

Even if you are a higher rate tax payer you can usually save some 12% employee NI by concentrating your sacrifice into as few months as possible near to minimum wage.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    danechkin said:
    Recently I started working in the new place and new employer has auto enrolled me into salary sacrifice scheme. 

Doesn't sound like like a salary sacrifice scheme. Just a standard work place scheme. Salary sacrifice schemes will always be optional. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback