Bank usage over PayPal

Options
2»

Comments

• LightKnow
    LightKnow Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, am actually little unsure... I might need take a proper look into this market. Please keep thread open, for any further assistance
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't you just sign up here to sell on Amazon UK? 
    https://sell.amazon.co.uk/?ref_=asuk_soa_rd&ld=AZUKSOAFooter&ref_=sduk_soa

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moogles44 said:
    I prefer PayPal and am dragging my feet on switching to ebay banking my money into my bank on my private account. Apparently it does cost a little more but PayPal have had my back numerous times as a seller or buyer whereas ebay rarely ever have as a seller. I’m gutted about when I have no choice but to switch as I have found PayPal brilliant when problems arise and when ebay have not been any help . They have given me refunds a number of times even though some dodgy buyers have managed to fraud their way into winning cases.
    If you are a private seller then managed payments on eBay is fractionally cheaper. New fee is 12.8% plus 30p to eBay. Old fees was 10% to eBay and 2.9% plus 30p to PayPal, so you save 0.1%.

I sold a few things last month and it all went very smoothly with the new payment system and the money went into my bank fine. I didn't have to remember to withdraw from PayPal and I like that the fees come out instantly so no worry about an invoice six weeks later.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Biil said:
    @RFW Take a look, I know there's UK site for business side but if your doing merch, there is only . Com 

I really don't understand what you're doing. I've sold on Amazon for more than a decade. I started as a private seller. I've never been asked to provide anything but a UK bank account.
    I can't think of anything where Amazon would send you to a .com site for registering.

• LightKnow
    Options
    RFW said:
    Biil said:
    @RFW Take a look, I know there's UK site for business side but if your doing merch, there is only . Com 

I really don't understand what you're doing. I've sold on Amazon for more than a decade. I started as a private seller. I've never been asked to provide anything but a UK bank account.
    I can't think of anything where Amazon would send you to a .com site for registering.

So the side am looking at is Amazon merch, which is like redbubble. If that helps.but it looks like there registration is setting up a international payment
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,264 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Biil said:
    RFW said:
    Biil said:

So the side am looking at is Amazon merch, which is like redbubble. If that helps.but it looks like there registration is setting up a international payment
    You didn’t say that in your original post, that’s something entirely different if you are looking at the same page as me

https://merch.amazon.com/landing

It looks like a third party add on,  I’ve never even seen that before let alone used it. Are you designing your own items then? 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LightKnow
    Options
    soolin said:
    Biil said:
    RFW said:
    Biil said:

You didn’t say that in your original post, that’s something entirely different if you are looking at the same page as me

https://merch.amazon.com/landing

It looks like a third party add on,  I’ve never even seen that before let alone used it. Are you designing your own items then? 

Sorry for the confusion, But yes that's what am looking at. I have few design and I thought I take a look into that.. but some of the questions or form through me off... Once I finish and submit.. they will let me know if I am approved or not 
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Biil said:
    RFW said:
    Biil said:

As Soolin said you hadn't said that initially and when you started you were talking about selling products on Ebay.
    Anyway I've had a quick look at the "merch" site. It is very much US based, although they accept international sellers. You need to have a bank account that will accept international payments. I think banking is lower down the list of possible problems. Amazon need you to have relevant tax information, that looks quite complicated to me. I'm not sure if you can opt out of selling in any country, so you have to be prepared to sort out accounting within each country you sell in. Payment has a threshold of £100, so you won't even start to get paid until you have made £100, that's after all Amazon fees. They look to be quite strict on copyright designs, so you need unique designs to be selling.
    Their email address to ask questions is merch-sellers-contactus@amazon.com
    I've only really had a quick look, I can speak Amazon (!) fairly well but there does seem a lot to manage with this. Whilst you aren't buying anything to sell the returns are still quite slim, from 5% to 30% of selling price. That's a lot of products you'd need to shift.

• LightKnow
    Options
    RFW said:
    Biil said:
    RFW said:
    Biil said:

As Soolin said you hadn't said that initially and when you started you were talking about selling products on Ebay.
    Anyway I've had a quick look at the "merch" site. It is very much US based, although they accept international sellers. You need to have a bank account that will accept international payments. I think banking is lower down the list of possible problems. Amazon need you to have relevant tax information, that looks quite complicated to me. I'm not sure if you can opt out of selling in any country, so you have to be prepared to sort out accounting within each country you sell in. Payment has a threshold of £100, so you won't even start to get paid until you have made £100, that's after all Amazon fees. They look to be quite strict on copyright designs, so you need unique designs to be selling.
    Their email address to ask questions is merch-sellers-contactus@amazon.com
    I've only really had a quick look, I can speak Amazon (!) fairly well but there does seem a lot to manage with this. Whilst you aren't buying anything to sell the returns are still quite slim, from 5% to 30% of selling price. That's a lot of products you'd need to shift.

Sorry for lack of explanation , I was trying to cover the topic in broad way and particular sites. 
    O my, thank you for looking into it. I have a  bank for the purpose but my concern is the tax and how it play out. I did not think it be this complex 😬 I might have to message them to find out how the system works
    I thought the steps or process would be similar to redbubble ...
    I appreciate you drawn my attention to different points, I hadn't really thought this. Glad I haven't jumped into this yet. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback