Council Tax

in Wales
1 reply 31 views
SunnytaffSunnytaff Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I live in a private rented property with my 2 children. I get 25% single persons living allowance and £3.10 a week council tax adjustment. My mother dropped dead Oct 18th 2018 & left me her house along with £38,000 worth of debt from her compulsive shopping. The house is full of damp and mold. A surveyor has been tp look at it and said it needs a full renovation  before anyone can live in it. The only things that can stay in the house is the boiler and the roof. Now the council are charging me a full council tax charge of £134.10 per month and they have told me I owe them £185 from ca payments I received that I wasn't entitled to because I have a capital of £99,000.!!! In their letter to me they say that my current account is £669 overdrawn  where as it is actually £2303.84 overdrawn. I'm at my wits end with it all. Can't sleep, can't eat, I'm a nervous wreck!!! Any advice? 

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell the property, people do buy doer ups. It's going to cause loads of problems with other benefits too and will be treated as a second home for council tax.