Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Cancelled Holiday but Flights not refunded

Debs1210Debs1210 Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all.  We were due to go to Corfu on the 3rd June but we cancelled the holiday last week as unable to fly as they are on the Amber list and we both work on the frontline within the NHS and cannot afford 10 days of isolation after the holiday.   If we didn’t cancel we would of also lost the accommodation money as they say we could travel but  the government says not to travel ! Broadway Travel have offered a credit not for the accommodation but will not refund the flights of over £700.  We have asked for our Money back for the accommodation as we cannot take any further time off later in the year ... still waiting to hear back.  My main question is do I have anyway of getting the flight money back.  I am worked long horrid shifts on the frontline and could really do with the money back to fund a future escape.

Replies

• edited 25 May at 8:12PM
    Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 May at 8:12PM
    Indeed. Sympathise. But if not part of a package and booked seperately and just amber and goping ahead then they have no obligation to refund the flights. That would be for your insurance (which probably these days would not cover it wither).

And even if a package, since they do not have to refund as you could go. It's down to good will. The airlines at this time after having lost so much have none, so....
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Debs1210 said:
    If we didn’t cancel we would of also lost the accommodation money as they say we could travel but  the government says not to travel 
    there is no government advice against travel to Corfu

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel to Greece, except for the islands of Rhodes, Kos, Zakynthos, Corfu and Crete, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.

If the flights and accommodation were available to you then any refund would be based on the terms and conditions of the booking.
    Before cancelling, did you discuss possibility of changing dates?
    Does your travel insurance cover disinclination to travel due to self-isolation on the return?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too late now, but you'd have done better to wait and hope that the flights would be cancelled. 
    Is this a package or non-package booking?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the information given, you’re not entitled to a refund - you’ve chosen not to travel. 
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no FCO advice against travel to Corfu as of now, so that you chose not to travel is not the problem of the travel company.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • edited 3 June at 8:49AM
    HampshireHHampshireH Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 June at 8:49AM
    Caz3121 said:
    Debs1210 said:
    If we didn’t cancel we would of also lost the accommodation money as they say we could travel but  the government says not to travel 

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel to Greece, except for the islands of Rhodes, Kos, Zakynthos, Corfu and Crete, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.

If the flights and accommodation were available to you then any refund would be based on the terms and conditions of the booking.
    Does your travel insurance cover disinclination to travel due to self-isolation on the return?
    I feel a bit for the OP as the government website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list
     Last updated 17/05 says;

You should not travel to amber list countries or territories.

Amber list of countries and territories
    Greece (including islands)
    Which contradicts the previous quote on FCDO

However that doesnt change things when it would have needed the agent to cancel the holiday.

• edited 3 June at 12:49PM
    CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 June at 12:49PM
    Caz3121 said:
    Debs1210 said:

I feel a bit for the OP as the government website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list
     Last updated 17/05 says;

You should not travel to amber list countries or territories.

Amber list of countries and territories
    Greece (including islands)
    Which contradicts the previous quote on FCDO

However that doesnt change things when it would have needed the agent to cancel the holiday.

'Should not' is not 'must not'.

As long as it's possible to adequately insure (probably through a local insurer than a UK one), then the FCDO advice would be the advice standing as far as the legal advice I've received in course of business stands. If a company wishes to go further than this (we supply the industry and have chosen to go further), then they are welcome to do so.

I do have a lot of sympathy, which is why we've chosen (as an individual company, we don't supply anything to Greece) to ignore the legal advice given..If I were OP, I'd be writing to my MP and asking them to address the issue of the 2 differing lists in parliament.

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

• mojo1mojo1 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Realistically if the government says you "should not" go then you couldn't be expected to go anyway, finding a foreign insurer because your current insurance becomes invalid.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mojo1 said:
    Realistically if the government says you "should not" go then you couldn't be expected to go anyway, finding a foreign insurer because your current insurance becomes invalid.
    The problem at the moment is more that 2 government departments aren't talking to each other and therefore are giving inconsistent advice.

Many countries are 'amber', but there is no FCO advice against travel, so which is it?

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    11K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FCO advice  is based on your safety in the country you go to.
    The Traffic Light  list is based on the risk of people bringing any covid variant  into   the country.