Wayleave Payments

I have today received two very similar letters saying that I am entitled to wayleave payments as underground electricity lines cross my property. Is this a coincidence or has some legislation been brought in or changed?

The letter from PCC Ltd says that we are entitled to £150 for a 15 year agreement. They charge no fee, but receive an admin fee from the electricity company. The small print states that they will receive surveyors fees.
The letter from Sherwill Drake Forbes says we are entitled to the same payment, but also says they will charge a 20% fee, plus VAT, once the wayleave payment is received.

It looks like a genuine thing, but why would I pay someone to do the work when it looks so simple to do myself? Also, as I originally asked, why have I received two letters from two companies in the same post?

thanks all

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Here's a 16-page thread on it:
    I seem to recall that one of the contributors to that thread works for a legal firm that deals with this for people.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Oneye12
    Oneye12 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you electricity lines crossing your property ?
    Why did you not know before now ..
    Or maybe just installed in which case you might have noticed before these letters arrived.

When did this 15year period begin ?
    This sounds to me like a ‘leg lifting’ exercise and you have 2 punters trying to make money out of it.

• peter021072
    peter021072 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AandSandO  Yes, I seem to have received the same letter from Sherwill Drake Forbes this morning, concerning a wayleave on underground cables.  I recall having a similar letter before. Have you done anything yet?
  • We have also received a letter from Sherwill Forbes Drake, re underground cables. Anyone followed them up on their ‘offer’?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    A couple of years ago we had a similar letter from Sherwill Fobes Drake about the 11kV overhead line that crosses part of our property.

It prompted me to look into it further and I negotiated a settlement (£15k) directly with the DNO - SSE.  It was pretty easy to do.
  • shif21
    shif21 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    MISTER_G could you give me some more information as to how I go about negotiating a settlement please. SFD are saying we have underground cables. Thank you
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    shif21 said:
    MISTER_G could you give me some more information as to how I go about negotiating a settlement please. SFD are saying we have underground cables. Thank you
    Just for contrast, we have two poles across our land.  One is a transformer.      They offered us £16.      So, don't get your hopes up.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    shif21 said:
    You will need to negotiate directly with the Wayleaves department at your DNO.  They have a ratecard that detemines the maximum amout that they will pay, but always try to settle for less!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback