We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Solar Panel Quote

2»

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,824 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hexane said:
    8 panels seems a very small number - are you limited by roof space?
    This is a good point. I've got a three-bed semi with a hipped roof and I've got eleven panels on my south-facing aspect, a five-bed should be able to fit more unless the roof is all dormers and gables! @Essex_Jim you should ask if you can fit more panels, the incremental cost is (usually) relatively small.
    How many kWh does it usually take to charge your EVs in the evening? How does that compare to your suggested 6kWh battery?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    Photogenic Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Essex_Jim said:
    Thanks all for the comments. Very helpful.

@Grumpy_chap 'in it' means integrated. my poor terminology. Either incorporated when the roof it first built or renewed. I have been following a person on an EV Forum and FB who is renewing his roof and get the panels incorporated.

@QuirB house is a 5 bed semi three years old. Heating via Gas boiler. The 1100kW  usage is pretty uniform. No AC. EV's are out during the day for work commute. So charge late evening / over night.

@Solarchaser Looking to switch over to Octopus. On a penalty until October with Pure Planet so working to get a Smart Meter (painful!). My Rolec 7kW charger also needs to be 'fixed' to allow timed charges. Will not commutate with the app.

In terms of prices, I have quotes for 8 panels (370 -385W) with inverter and battery ranging from £5800 - £7300. Battery is about £3500 - £4000 of that.

I have an elderly very active relative in the house during the day. Maybe a alternative may be to take less panels, no battery and cover 'tick over' electricity and time washing machine / dish washer / tumble.

Thanks again for all the feedback
    The elderly relative could be a game-changer. Just have them monitor the generation and run around turning things on and off. You could be coming home to freshly baked bread, clean washing and a hoovered house.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.