Critical Illness help

Options
A relative has recently been diagnosed with MS. They had a policy in 2017 and it was fine. In 2019 they had it changed. The policy is with the same provider as the previous one. It was changed as the policy was done via a broker at the same time as a remortgage to a better rate. The broker had said that there would be an increase to the life insurance premiums per month but this would cover more (40>99 illness). The relative agreed to accept this.  The broker then went ahead and did everything to fill in a form. However this was incorrect (had incorrect address, no declaration of prior condition and no signature on form). The broker knew there was no issue with the existing policy. They were paid by my relative for the setup. 

When the relative had been diagnosed with MS they raised a claim. The insurance company asked for all GP and neurological reports. Once it was received they declined the decision on 3 reasons. A dodgy application form, no disclosure to a GP appointment and policy was invalid all information that was from the broker so what should the relative do? 
They are stressed at the minute by it all, and other than speak to the insurance company they still have not  means to do anything about appealing etc, as even thinking about it all upsets them. Any advice would be much appreciated. 
:money:

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Log the complaint with the broker who you are blaming for the issue.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A complaint to the broker would be in order.  However, there are some caveats.
    The broker would be reliant on the information supplied to them.  So, either the broker failed to disclose or the relative failed to disclose.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback