UK cruise insurance querie

My partner and I have booked a 4 night P and O mini cruise that sails around the UK.through a local travel agents. There are no stopping points. you stay on the ship all the time, and it docks in the sea for a day before coming back home. Travel insurance quoted by the TA was 42£, which w agreed and paid. Now they have phoned me to say I need europe travel, premium in case we need to land in europe. this added another 35£ to the policy.

I am now stressing, as I thought UK cruise insurance would be good enough. and was wondering if maybe they add this to bump the price up.
My Q is, should I pay the Extra? or will uk cruise insurance be sufficient?

thank you in advance.

If I were born five years later, none of this would have happened!!

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is that P&O insurance?  If not what are they charging?
  • bundlebob
    bundlebob Posts: 20
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No. its not P&O's own insurance. The TA uses an outside insurance company.
    Its a fully comp policy including several things thatt arent valid for our mini cruise. I have looked at other insurance quotes and have had better ones, but only for UK to UK. 
    they charge per person on the original one was 41£ now its 71£ for adding european travel
    If I were born five years later, none of this would have happened!!
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,762
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would ask P&O why pay for European ins if you're not going there....
  • Martin_the_Unjust
    Martin_the_Unjust Posts: 988
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 May 2021 at 3:26PM
    Potentially, if the ship had a problem then it may need to head to the nearest port, or you as a passenger, if you get hurt or ill, would be helicoptered to the nearest hospital which could easily be in Europe, Ireland, France etc.
  • I’m thinking of booking an MSC cruise around UK so have been looking at these policies.  Staysure are coming up best for me.  many travel insurance policies have a clause that says they won’t pay medical & emergency expenses if you are holidaying within the UK as these costs would be covered by the NHS, however, if you are onboard a UK cruise and take ill the NHS will not cover onboard medical and emergency fees, this may be why the original travel agent policy has been declared insufficient?   Staysure cover onboard medical & emergency costs whilst on a cruise within the UK and they will send an endorsement clarifying this if you call them.  They are coming up at £18.18 for a week for a family of 2 adults and 2 teens for me.  Usually £23.75 but currently has an online discount.  Their COVID cover also covers being told to isolate by Nhs test n trace, not just a positive test prior to travel, which lots of other companies don’t cover.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback