Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 15 May at 10:36AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
Thanks for reading 

Replies

• TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think HMRC send e-mails so it's almost certainly a scam.  As it isn't addressed to you ignore it.  If you want to check it out, find the genuine number for tax credits and call them.  Do not use any number provided on the e-mail.
    Alternatively do this
    "Protect: forward suspicious emails claiming to be from HMRC to [email protected]hmrc.gov.uk and texts to 60599."

• freeshafreesha Forumite
    209 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Call them and tell them this person does not live here - then also pop it back in the post stating NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS.
  • LittleVoiceLittleVoice Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    freesha said:
    Call them and tell them this person does not live here - then also pop it back in the post stating NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS.
    The letter received by the OP but not intended for them must have been correctly addressed which is why the OP knows where they live.  So the proper recipient probably is known at that address, the one on the letter.

However it could be sent back indicating it had been incorrectly included with someone else's communication.
  • Loanranger21Loanranger21 Forumite
    93 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Pop the letter in the post to northern Ireland first class. 
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi just received an email(sorry meant to say letter) from tax credits asking to speak with me by telephone regarding my claim for the past year. Problem is they have sent me someone else’s letter.
    Their son’s name and national insurance numbers is on it.
    Also they will miss their appointment and tax credits will stop
    As well as sending it back, phone the number and explain what has happened - it would be most unjust if the tax credits are stopped after they have been informed.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    11K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The letters are printed and inserted in the envelopes by a computer. No human hand is involved. I tis a conveyer belt process.
    Gone are the days of someone sitting at a typewriter, then putting the letteer in an envelope, sticking a stamp on it and taking it to the post office.
    Presumably the sheets of paper stuck together when they were 'mechanically picked' and inserted into the envelope.
    Forget the information on the letter.
    It  is not your problem as you have not suffered any loss from it.
    If you feel strongly , then write to the person concerned telling them what happened and let them deal with it.