Will a financial advisor check my credit report for funeral planning?

Options
Hi. I am seeing a financial advisor about funeral planning and to make sure there are no problems money wise for my family after. I am wanting to know if the advisor will want to see my credit report as i have bad credit but it will be paid off soon and i'd rather him not know. Thanks

Comments

• sparklep0ny
    sparklep0ny Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hiding your finances from a financial advisor seems like a particularly silly thing to do.  How can they advise you properly if you're hiding things from them?

Might as well cancel the appointment, it's not going to be helpful to you.
  • Radams47
    Radams47 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just wanted to know if financial advisors do credit checks
  • sparklep0ny
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Radams47 said:
    I just wanted to know if financial advisors do credit checks
    It's not outside the realm of possibility.

But it's also irrelevant.  If you're going to be upfront with them about your finances it doesn't matter if they do or they don't.  If you're not going to be upfront about your finances then you're wasting your time.
  • Radams47
    Options
    My family will be there and there is a member that i'd rather didn't find out. The debt will be paid off very soon. I'm not wanting a loan/mortgage etc. Just future planning with my own money. I want to know how far financial advisors go into looking at my finances
  • sparklep0ny
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Radams47 said:
    My family will be there and there is a member that i'd rather didn't find out. The debt will be paid off very soon. I'm not wanting a loan/mortgage etc. Just future planning with my own money. I want to know how far financial advisors go into looking at my finances
    I'm not disputing that you have valid reasons for not wanting to disclose certain things, I'm just saying that there is no point speaking to a financial advisor if you're going to hide aspects of your finances from them.

Book an appointment when the debt is paid off if it really bothers you.
  • Radams47
    Options
    So, lets say i am not seeing a financial planner and its irrelevant to me. I just want an answer to my question (lets say its for an essay i am writing).
    Do financial advisors check credit reports
  • sparklep0ny
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 May 2021 at 11:50AM
    Options
    Radams47 said:
    So, lets say i am not seeing a financial planner and its irrelevant to me. I just want an answer to my question (lets say its for an essay i am writing).
    Do financial advisors check credit reports
    Let's stick with the facts rather than hypotheticals.

They might, and even if they don't you need to disclose all your finances otherwise the advice is potentially going to be wrong.  If full disclosure is a problem to you, don't see them.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A financial adviser will not be able to access your credit report but may ask you to provide a copy yourself. Although to be honest I doubt it they'd want to see it for funeral planing but do agree planning does involve understanding your current financial situation. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback