Desperate mum

Hi, my son has managed to get on to a course at college but it's only 10.5 hours per week. He's 20 and had to leave his previous course due to a health condition that prevents him from driving so finding work is also a struggle due to this. He's ending a full time course and no longer eligible for Child benefit.  This means I will have to pay full council tax for us both and as a single mum working full time with no financial assistance it's going to break me. I tried applying for second person rebate for council tax but we're not eligible for that. He's been through so much with his health and has fought back every time, I won't allow this to stop him from getting a career that he wants as everything else it appears has gone against him. He's applied for finance online for the cost of his course  but I think that's all he can claim. Does anyone have any help or advice as to how to manage this or who to turn to for help please? I just want to support my son 

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,845
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You could try going to www.entitledto.co.uk and use the benefits calculator there to see if you are eligible for Universal Credit. If your income is very low, you may be eligible. He won't be eligible unless he is studying more than 12 hours a week on a the right sort of course. Details are here: Universal Credit and students - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

He really needs to find work. I appreciate that this can be difficult without a car, but I don't think there is going to be any other option other than for him to start contributing financially to his cost of living. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Pingette50
    Pingette50 Posts: 7
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks I'll try try that website. For the record, my sons condition tends to be more of an issue rather than his not being able to drive. Epilepsy tends to out a lot of people off although discrimination is illegal. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,622
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You may find some information here   https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/
                              https://epilepsysociety.org.uk/living-epilepsy
  • Pingette50
    First Post
    Forumite
    Much appreciated 
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2021 at 5:52PM
    Get him applying for any & every retail job there is. 10h of study load is not a barrier to working in a supermarket at all. I appreciate it isn't everyone's dream job, but there is massive value in paying your own way, and the responsibility of turning up and supporting his co-workers teaches kids so much.

He does not need to mention the epilepsy until he is given a job offer (I am assuming he needs no adjustments during an interview). It's a protected characteristic so they can't make the employment decision based on his disability unless it means he isn't fit to perform the job. Shop work will be quite suitable and the employer will be able to make any adjustments required. If he's light-sensitive I presume he has ways to deal with this. In practical terms, it's probably more about the fact that his colleagues should be aware of how to assist him if he were to have a seizure at work.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,722
    Forumite
    Child benefit and tax credits would have ended anyway even if he was still doing the previous college course because it's not paid past your 20th birthday.
    Whether he's entitled to Universal Credit will totally depend on whether the college course is full time or part time, if it's a full time course and he only attends part time then it will be classed as full time.  Full time students can only claim UC in very certain circumstances. See link. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students
    Does he claim a disability benefit such as PIP or DLA? If he doesn't and his daily life is affected by is conditions then have a look at claiming PIP for him. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
    Does he receive a student loan? is there a loan available to him but he hasn't taken it?
    For council tax reduction if he's a full time student then you will still be entitled to the 25% single person discount because full time students are ignored. You would need a letter from his college to send to your local council.

• You've said the college course is only 10.5 hours of study per week. Is that contact hours or study hours? A course can still be classified as full-time even if you're only in a classroom a small number of hours per week if you're expected to do additional work outside of class. Check with college what they think the expected learning hours. 
    If it is only 10.5 hours of study per week then the options are either get a job or take on another course to bring him up to the required study hours to qualify for UC/student finance/student CT exemption.
    Good luck!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,722
    Forumite

If it is only 10.5 hours of study per week then the options are either get a job or take on another course to bring him up to the required study hours to qualify for UC
    As previously advised, full time students can only claim UC under certain circumstances, link posted above.

• Pingette50
    First Post
    Forumite
    yksi said:
    Get him applying for any & every retail job there is. 10h of study load is not a barrier to working in a supermarket at all. I appreciate it isn't everyone's dream job, but there is massive value in paying your own way, and the responsibility of turning up and supporting his co-workers teaches kids so much.

He does not need to mention the epilepsy until he is given a job offer (I am assuming he needs no adjustments during an interview). It's a protected characteristic so they can't make the employment decision based on his disability unless it means he isn't fit to perform the job. Shop work will be quite suitable and the employer will be able to make any adjustments required. If he's light-sensitive I presume he has ways to deal with this. In practical terms, it's probably more about the fact that his colleagues should be aware of how to assist him if he were to have a seizure at work.
    He would love to work and has applied for jobs like this on multiple occasions.  No his condition shouldn't discourage employers and no it shouldn't prevent them from offering him a job. Sadly that isn't always the case but he continues to apply for different things that are suitable and local to us. 
  • Pingette50
    First Post
    Forumite
    yksi said:

He would love to work and has applied for jobs like this on multiple occasions.  No his condition shouldn't discourage employers and no it shouldn't prevent them from offering him a job. Sadly that isn't always the case but he continues to apply for different things that are suitable and local to us. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback