Help! Car stolen, Insurance hadn't auto renewed!

Options

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien said:
    Surely everybody can remember their NI number, can't they? I also can remember my credit card number, expiry date and security code, my main bank account sort code and account number as well as my online login 

Short answer is no, no and no.
    The slightly longer answer is why would I need to remember a NI number I need once every few years, if that? 
    I have a multitude of bank accounts and credit cards and not a scooby for any of them off the top of my head.
    I don't think "need" comes into it, we don't have a choice about what lodges in our heads. The only bank account number I have ever reliably remembered (and still can) is my very first one, which only existed in the 1980s. Similarly, I can remember registration numbers of parents' cars scrapped decades ago, but struggle to be as certain about the reg of my car (owned for about six years...).
  • teachfast
    teachfast Posts: 633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We need to see the header and content of the email/s to judge. 
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    ElefantEd said:
    If the Ombudsman does tell the insurance company that they are obliged to retrospectively cover the OP, would the insurers be entitled to ask for the premium? And if so, what's to stop them saying "If we were going to insure this car, which we normally wouldn't, we would charge £25k"?
    The car was worth £65k
    A premium of £25k still leaves the OP £40k to the better.
    Sorry, I misremembered the cost of the car. Rephrase my question to be "charge £65k", because that's what I'd do if I were eh insurance company and was told to insure a car I didn't want to insure!

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ElefantEd said:
    ElefantEd said:
    If the Ombudsman does tell the insurance company that they are obliged to retrospectively cover the OP, would the insurers be entitled to ask for the premium? And if so, what's to stop them saying "If we were going to insure this car, which we normally wouldn't, we would charge £25k"?
    The car was worth £65k
    A premium of £25k still leaves the OP £40k to the better.
    Sorry, I misremembered the cost of the car. Rephrase my question to be "charge £65k", because that's what I'd do if I were eh insurance company and was told to insure a car I didn't want to insure!
    ...knowing there's a £65k theft claim following right after the premium's paid...
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teachfast said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

I previously asked for it from the OP as it could help greatly, but so far they havent taken a screen shot and posted it.
  • Langtang
    Langtang Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2021 at 10:57AM
    Options
    motorguy said:
    teachfast said:
    This
    I previously asked for it from the OP as it could help greatly, but so far they havent taken a screen shot and posted it.
    I asked too, after posting the heading from our recent refusal of insurance email. 

I am assuming that he is a very busy guy, with a high powered job that affords little time to drop into “chat rooms”. Ever the optimist. 
    It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end....
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2021 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Langtang said:
    motorguy said:
    teachfast said:
    This
    I asked too, after posting the heading from our recent refusal of insurance email. 

I am assuming that he is a very busy guy, with a high powered job that affords little time to drop into “chat rooms”. Ever the optimist. 
    Already admitted that admin is not high on their list, so probably forgotten all about this thread...

Last Active
    14 May at 3:57PM
    Life in the slow lane
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Or didn't get  the support he hoped for.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Or didn't get  the support he hoped for.
    What support can he get though?  He'd no insurance, he'd his tracker switched off, his car was stolen?

Theres no easy way out of that.

The only potential is we can see the wording of the email / email heading and see if there is any hope there around misinterpretation and then help point him to the relevant ombudsman / support groups.

Also if its on finance, he needs to inform the finance company.

Also there may be further actions he can take RE: the police.

But thats already been said so i cant see how else people could have helped?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback