New Post Advanced Search

Virgin Media Early Termination Fee

5 replies 118 views
james251988james251988 Forumite
4 posts
Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all, 
Looking to see if anyone had any experience with VM and their early termination fee. 
Towards the end of last year, quite suddenly I had to leave the rented property I was in but luckily found another quickly. I contacted VM to ask them to move my services to the new property as (unlike many!) I had been happy with the service I had received for around 5 years. The agent told me that they could not do this as the property was not able to receive the services. I was then told that I would have to pay over £200.... I am still speaking to VM, trying to find out exactly what I am paying for (all equipment is returned) and their customer service is terrible, emails go unanswered, the online chat is terrible and social media posts don't get a response. I have now had a letter from a collections agency. 
Has anyone had any luck in dealing with them on this? I would understand paying if I had left by choice - but this was something out of my hands completely. I would have paid a reasonable amount, but £200 is excessive. The only line I have had from them was that my actual contract amount 'would have been more'.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You pay the remaining months of the contract you took out is what they are asking  less a discount .
    Certainly not VMs fault you are moving .
    See multiple identical ISP posts on users breaking contracts re home moves .
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • You were in contract 
    • You choose to move 
    • You have to pay
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • james251988james251988 Forumite
    4 posts
    Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    JJ_Egan said:
    You pay the remaining months of the contract you took out is what they are asking  less a discount .
    Certainly not VMs fault you are moving .
    See multiple identical ISP posts on users breaking contracts re home moves .
    Completely understand it is not the fault of the provider - more failing to see that as I wanted the service, but they were unable to provide this falls to my fault. Usually, with something such as a phone, car rental etc - you have goods but with this, they have not provided me anything upfront, the equipment was sent back. They are not the ones out of pocket. 
  • edited 10 May at 1:45PM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May at 1:45PM
    They are supplying the service as per your contract at xx address .You then choose to break the contract .
    They are out of pocket for the balance of the contract .

• edited 10 May at 6:16PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May at 6:16PM
    It may seem unfair , especially if the move is forced, but as already pointed out, that’s not really VM’s fault either, generally an in contract price is cheaper than the out of contract price , the pay back is that the provider knows you are going to be paying upto the end of the minimum term, if you break that arrangement then ETC becomes appropriate, and given that VM don’t have to supply every  address in the country , there is a pretty good change that the new address won’t have VM services available.
    The scale of the ETC payable should be on the VM website, it will be cheaper than what you would have paid if you continued until the end of the minimum term, but obviously you will probably be paying someone else for service at the new address, as well as paying off VM