Changes to Cineworld Unlimited scheme

Options
Cornucopia
Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 10 May 2021 at 10:30AM in Going out deals
In preparation for cinema re-opening, Cineworld have re-structured their Unlimited scheme.

The scheme now has 4 layers of membership (replacing the previous 2 - London West End or not).    It's slightly difficult to understand the logic, here, but it appears that the levels are related to the facilities available at the cinemas involved, which presumably drive running costs. 

My local cinema is now in Group 2, which means I will get a reduction to £15.99pm by default.  However, that means I will lose access to my second nearest cinema which is now in Group 3.   I have the option to upgrade to Group 3 and get access to both, and this will cost £18.40pm.  This will then include all UK Cineworld locations except London Leicester Square.

The "all cinemas" Group 4 will now cost £20.90. 

Customers of:  Aberdeen, Aberdeen Union Square, Aldershot, Bedford, Bolton, Bradford, Bristol, Cardiff, Hull, Plymouth, Runcorn, Stoke on Trent and Weymouth benefit the most as their Group 1 membership is reduced to £9.99pm.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/static/en/uk/unlimited-membership-groups

Edit:  Looking at the lists of locations, I'm wondering whether this is actually the ghostly influence of the UGC-Cineworld merger, with ex-UGC sites being in Groups 1 & 2, and ex-Cineworld locations in Group 3.  

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Edit:  Looking at the lists of locations, I'm wondering whether this is actually the ghostly influence of the UGC-Cineworld merger, with ex-UGC sites being in Groups 1 & 2, and ex-Cineworld locations in Group 3.  
    There are a few exceptions, like a brand new Cineworld here is group 2 so don't think its a simple as old UGC are all in one group.

But ticket prices had got more regional a while ago and I'm surprised this hadn't been changed before as it made unlimited bad value in some locations.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 10 May 2021 at 2:30PM
    Options
    jon81uk said:
    There are a few exceptions, like a brand new Cineworld here is group 2 so don't think its a simple as old UGC are all in one group.

But ticket prices had got more regional a while ago and I'm surprised this hadn't been changed before as it made unlimited bad value in some locations.
    It works (UGC/Cineworld) for all the non-London sites I knew of before the merger (which is not that many).     It's about the only explanation I can think of for quite nice sites like Edinburgh and London West India Quay being in Group 2 (they are both ex-UGC), when lowly London Bexleyheath and nice enough Ashford (Kent) (both ex-Cineworld) are in Group 3. 

It's certainly not regional, except for London which has had a shake-up with the disposal of most of the old West End group of sites.  

Hopefully they will offer a one-off upgrade price for individual trips to out-of-group locations.  
  • jon81uk
    Options
    I thought there was quite a big variation in ticket prices? With London (not West End) being £10-13 but other locations as low as about £6?
    Or is it Vue that offer really cheap tickets in some locations (but no Unlimited).

I haven't had Unlimited for a few years myself and now on Vitality insurance so get free Odeon or Vue tickets I'm less likely to use my lost local Cineworld and instead travel to an Odeon.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 10 May 2021 at 2:56PM
    Options
    jon81uk said:
    I thought there was quite a big variation in ticket prices? With London (not West End) being £10-13 but other locations as low as about £6?
    Or is it Vue that offer really cheap tickets in some locations (but no Unlimited).

I haven't had Unlimited for a few years myself and now on Vitality insurance so get free Odeon or Vue tickets I'm less likely to use my lost local Cineworld and instead travel to an Odeon.
    I've not seen any particularly cheap prices at Cineworld.  I've had Unlimited for ages, and occasionally I check that I'm still quids-in for using it.    Adult peak-time prices are around £12-13 from what I've seen - more for 3D and events.  

edit:  Apparently there are some cheaper sites.  For example Bedford has a flat rate of £5.99.   Which makes sense since it's one of the sites that will have £9.99 Unlimited.
  • jon81uk
    Options
    jon81uk said:

I've not seen any particularly cheap prices at Cineworld.  I've had Unlimited for ages, and occasionally I check that I'm still quids-in for using it.    Adult peak-time prices are around £12-13 from what I've seen - more for 3D and events.  

edit:  Apparently there are some cheaper sites.  For example Bedford has a flat rate of £5.99.   Which makes sense since it's one of the sites that will have £9.99 Unlimited.
    Yeah that is what I thought, a majority of cinemas were in the £10-13 sort of range, but a few were as low as £6. Not sure if there is more competition in those areas or the screens are just a bit rubbish.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 May 2021 at 6:37PM
    Options
    The cinemworld/UGC works for the two near me, but maybe it's just UGC only built them to a different standard?

• Cornucopia
    Options
    The earlier technical problems with Unlimited Card bookings seem to have been resolved.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My partner averages a couple of films a week over the course of a year. The reduction in price is both welcome and makes for good value. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback