A free ipad from Jacamo! Not really. A puzzling occurrence.

2»

Comments

• procleon
    procleon Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do they know my annual income? How would they find that out?
  • procleon said:
    Do they know my annual income? How would they find that out?
    Well to sign up you do input your income details, if you haven’t created the account then unless the person who did create it knows your income, the. It’s probably incorrect anyway. 
  • procleon
    So I still have not done a credit score because I don't want to give the credit companies more information about me than they have already. Fortunately, MSE has recently put out an article on how you can view your credit files and I may do that instead.
    But I think the free ipad saga may have ended - at least I hope so!
    This is how it went! Two weeks after I had returned the ipad I received an invoice from Jacamo for the cost of the ipad; it kindly explained that I would pay interest if I did not pay off the full price. I was worried; they had said that they were closing the account; surely the ipad had got back to them by that time. I got back to the Jacamo chatline and a very polite lady explained that Jacamo's fraud department would be in touch by email. Two days passed. I emailed them. Two days passed. I wrote to the Company Secretary of J D Williams, Jacamo's parent company. A week passed. I got a letter from Jacamo, apologising for my inconvenience, saying they had got the ipad back. I never heard from the Company Secretary but I think he may have instigated Jacamo's letter. I shall keep that letter safe. But I still do not understand the potential benefit of this fraud to the fraudster. Thank you to everybody who commented
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    procleon said:
    So I still have not done a credit score because I don't want to give the credit companies more information about me than they have already. Fortunately, MSE has recently put out an article on how you can view your credit files and I may do that instead.

As mentioned - you won't be giving them more information than they have already. You will only be verifying what they already know in order to allow you access to your information. If they didn't do this - anybody could access it. To access any of your credit files no matter who through, and how (even if you follow the MSE guide), you'll have to verify your identity - but to absolutely stress - you are not giving them info they don't already know.

And as you haven't checked them - if the fraudster successfully opened one account - they might have opened more - so it's in your own best interests to check your credit files as soon as possible - and I mean AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I'm not sure really if you're understanding the implications of not checking them. If they're all accurate - then there's nothing to worry about and you can then breathe a sigh of relief - but you really, really, really need to be checking them if someone has taken a fraudulent account in your name and address. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • procleon
    Thank you for commenting. But I still do not see how they could no my annual income, even if they were given information by the bank that holds my current account - and I would be so shocked and dismayed if that were to happen - but that is a detail that credit score providers ask for. Inevitably, my name and address is known to every online trader I have bought from.
  • hjibds
    hjibds Posts: 68 Forumite
    When you apply for Credit/Credit Cards etc you are asked your salary, this is probably where that comes from although to my knowledge my salary details are not on my credit report.
  • nadsat
    nadsat Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I got a package of shoes today in my name from Jacamo. About an hour later someone turned up asking for the package - my wife dealt with him in no uncertain fashion. I presume they opened a credit account with Jacamo maybe using company house details as I am a company director - I shall try and find out on Monday. There is nothing on the enclosed advice note showing how payment was or is to be made. 
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good for your wife.
    If insistent, I'd ask for ID politely and refuse if that didn't match the package or take a photo if it did.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport