Income Security Plan Surrender

Options
Hi Folks, Can anyone out there help? I recently asked Aviva for details on surrendering an Icome Security Plan I have had with them since 1998. In honesty, I just wanted to stop the payments and did not realize that there was a value to the policy. In short, it is worth approx. £6000 if I surrender it now. My question, which Aviva will not answer, is approximately how much will it be worth on maturity in December 2024? I know it is dependent on stock market performance etc. so an accurate figure is impossible, but I'm trying to work out in my head whether it is worth waiting or not. Will it just be an extra thousand or so, or is there likely to be a big advantage to letting it mature? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Old_Lifer
    Old_Lifer Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An income protection policy which has a surrender value ?   It matures too ?
  • Befudled1965
    Options
    It does indeed - to my surprise.

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My question, which Aviva will not answer, is approximately how much will it be worth on maturity in December 2024?

My crystal ball tells me that it could be worth.....   (pick a number).    It really is impossible for us to even guess at as we don't know the product terms.

An income protection policy which has a surrender value ?   It matures too ?

A number of early to mid 90s PHIs were investment backed.  Same problem as life assurance plans.  i.e. differing target growth rates, different investment performance based on different risk levels and funds.     Their only saving grace is that 90s PHI policies are often better on the coverage front than some of these modern cheap plans with clauses for everything.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm not surprised Aviva won't attempt to answer the question.  It's impossible to know what will happen to financial markets over the next 3 years so the value might sky rocket and equally could take a complete dump.  If you take it now you at least know what you will be getting, beyond that it's a complete guess.
  • Befudled1965
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. You've made my mind up for me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback