Admiral charging £25 before 14 day cool off period

Options
My daughter recently took out contents insurance with Admiral for her new rented flat. On review, on the same day she changed her mind due to exit fees from her existing policy. Admiral say she has to pay a £25 exit fee for the policy taken out on the same day (i.e. Changed her mind in a few hours). For me, this must go against the CRA's regulatory 14 day cool off period. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The 14 day period gives her a right to cancel. It doesn't give her a right to cancel at no cost. The insurer is still allowed to charge a reasonable fee to reflect the costs of setting up the policy, and subsequently cancelling it, plus any time on cover. 

The difference the 14 day period makes is that after the 14 days have expired you have no statutory right to cancel at all, though most insurers will still allow you to cancel, possibly on more onerous terms. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     For me, this must go against the CRA's regulatory 14 day cool off period. Any thoughts?

It is allowed to charge an admin/cancellation charge after application but before the end of the cancellation rights period.

The cancellation rights period is not a free period.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback