Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Is there a better web site to search properties to buy?

Replies

• WoozieSioux_tseWoozieSioux_tse Forumite
    31 Posts
    10 Posts
    But this is a fairly new platform. They do have a marketing campaign on TV at the moment and a number of estate agents are already signing up to it. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best at the moment because it's still not as well established as Rightmove, but it's got some interesting features that might be useful for people that are getting fed up with Rightmove's clunkiness....
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    40.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But this is a fairly new platform. They do have a marketing campaign on TV at the moment and a number of estate agents are already signing up to it. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best at the moment because it's still not as well established as Rightmove, but it's got some interesting features that might be useful for people that are getting fed up with Rightmove's clunkiness....
    So long as you're happy to only choose from one third of properties on the market.
  • ts21ts21 Forumite
    40 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    To be honest I've found that wider criteria are better and you just check each property yourself, but I guess it depends on the volume of listings in the relevant areas. I've found that loads are categorised wrong by the EAs.
  • WoozieSioux_tseWoozieSioux_tse Forumite
    31 Posts
    10 Posts
    It's still fairly new. And it's a different way of connecting with a vendor. More people will join.  Maybe some of the other portals will decide to create a similar tool- a bit of healthy market competition? 

Where I am, the estate agents aren't even bothering with Rightmove, by the time they get the property advertised, it's already let/ under offer/ SSTC. And in cases like that, the tool on Boomin is useful because you can advertise before you even put the property up for sale to gauge interest.
  • steampoweredsteampowered Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zoopla has a very good search function which allows you to draw a map covering the area you want.

You can also search within X miles of a specific point.
  • pieroabcdpieroabcd Forumite
    42 Posts
    10 Posts
    AdrianC said:
    You could maybe try writing your own advert for a property on Boomin. 
    Never heard of it.

Which prompts a little test...

How many properties are listed in this county...?

Rightmove - 889 properties
    OTM - 726
    Zoopla - 648
    PrimeLocation - 648
    Boomin - 377

Now, if we were to prefer one platform over another because of filtering capabilities...
    According to RM right now in London there are 47,368 results. Don't you believe that some proper filtering would help identifying one's relevant properties?
    42 Posts
    10 Posts
    pieroabcd said:
    excluding boats, 
    Are there that many houseboats for sale in a location that they need to be filtered out.

To be blunt, your expectations are totally unrealistic.
    It's not rocket science, this is one example abroad. See how many filters you can set? And it's not the only site of this kind.
    Of course it depends on people filling in the data correctly, but this is exactly the value that users expect from a dedicated web site.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieroabcd said:
    AdrianC said:
    Never heard of it.

OTM - 726
    Zoopla - 648
    PrimeLocation - 648
    Boomin - 377

Now, if we were to prefer one platform over another because of filtering capabilities...
    According to RM right now in London there are 47,368 results. Don't you believe that some proper filtering would help identifying one's relevant properties?
    Who would just search "London". It's 600 odd square miles! Most people know the areas they want to be. Yes, I agree more filters would be useful, but things are not always black and white so I wouldn't want too many filters (despite having a very long wishlist when looking!).
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
    42 Posts
    10 Posts
    hazyjo said:
    pieroabcd said:
    AdrianC said:
    Never heard of it.

OTM - 726
    Zoopla - 648
    PrimeLocation - 648
    Boomin - 377

Who would just search "London". It's 600 odd square miles! Most people know the areas they want to be. Yes, I agree more filters would be useful, but things are not always black and white so I wouldn't want too many filters (despite having a very long wishlist when looking!).
    In my case I specified London because I don't care where the house is, as long as it has the features that I want.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieroabcd said:
    hazyjo said:
    pieroabcd said:
    AdrianC said:
    Never heard of it.

OTM - 726
    Zoopla - 648
    PrimeLocation - 648
    Boomin - 377

In my case I specified London because I don't care where the house is, as long as it has the features that I want.
    Then I suggest you limit it down to areas first, unless you're looking for the unusual. I've never heard of anyone saying anywhere in the whole of London before.

You must have things to help you decide!
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones