Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

BT Charged for Calls which were free with SKY

in Phones & TV
3 replies 125 views
bowers537bowers537 Forumite
1 Post
Third Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello,
I recently discovered that BT had been charging me not just for the landline but for a call package and voicemail service. Neither of these were ever used as BT were unable to provide this service as my phone calls were with SKY and they were paid accordingly and were separate to my BT Bill... This is a legacy from the days when you had to have a landline with BT. I assumed that under the Consumer Rights Act that a Company has to provide a service in order to charge for it. Equally, BT would have 'seen' that the phone contract was with SKY so even ethically why is it they have inform me they have done nothing wrong and it was my responsibility.
Please can anyone advise.
Thanks

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confused but at a guess.

You have a BT landline and calls package .
    But you do not use the BT calls package ,
    If so its not BTs fault that you dont use the calls .
    How would they know you use Sky for calls or even seen a contract from Sky ??
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    bowers537 said:
    Hello,
    I recently discovered that BT had been charging me not just for the landline but for a call package and voicemail service. Neither of these were ever used as BT were unable to provide this service as my phone calls were with SKY and they were paid accordingly and were separate to my BT Bill... This is a legacy from the days when you had to have a landline with BT. I assumed that under the Consumer Rights Act that a Company has to provide a service in order to charge for it. Equally, BT would have 'seen' that the phone contract was with SKY so even ethically why is it they have inform me they have done nothing wrong and it was my responsibility.
    Please can anyone advise.
    Thanks

So the first question has to be:  How long has this been the case and why have you only just noticed?
    A service doesn't have to be used to be chargeable, but it has probably been provided.  If you don't use the call package or the voicemail and you've only just noticed after <however long> you're being charged for it that's not BT's fault.
  • edited 1 May at 8:29PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 May at 8:29PM
    Its not clear what your complaint is, if you had a legacy arrangement where you paid BT line rental only and your calls were CPS ( carrier pre select ) where the calls were routed into Sky network  and you paid Sky for any calls you made on a separate Sky phone calls bill , that arrangement hasn’t been available with Sky for many years and as far as I recall , Sky made strenuous efforts to convert this type of customer to the type of Sky contract where you pay Sky for line rental and calls, and the requirement to pay BT anything ends.
    Sky have offered complete phone packages ( Sky line rental )  for many years,  were you asked by Sky to move your line rental to Sky from BT , but you never went for that option, they may have ( after many years ) decided enough is enough and simply cut your CPS service off.

If you are somehow still on this type of CPS legacy package ( I would be a amazed if they still exist ) and were surprised that your calls have recently started to appear on your BT bill, instead of a separate Sky bill, ( along side the  expected BT line rental bill)  , then you need to take that up with Sky, if  Sky have now removed their CPS facility from you , this would force your calls onto ‘BT’, and you cannot expect to make calls and not pay someone for them.

Can you provide a clearer description of what you think you only should pay for, and what you actually being charged for , what has recently changed and why you think you have been incorrectly charged, you claim that a company has to provide a service if they charge for it, are you claiming that you don’t have a BT service at all , but are being charged by BT ?, if so you also state that were paying BT ‘line rental’ , is that not true ?

If you were somehow still paying Sky for calls , you still have a BT call package linked to the BT line rental , then the onus is on you to make sure you are on the appropriate calls package, the ‘no calls made no charge’ package with BT, originally would have been the inclusive ‘weekends’  calls pack , which was free, the current equivalent is PAYG calls, any other calls package comes with a monthly fee.
    If Sky has now ended CPS and you are still making calls , thinking they are with Sky , but because the Sky CPS has e fed, then the calls go over to BT , and if you are on PAYG ,( the only call package without a monthly fee )  then the tariff ( 21p/min ) 

As far as the ‘call minder’ service, BT started charging for that years ago , but advised customers that this initially free service was going to be charged for, and if you didn’t want it , to call and ask for it to be removed, if you have been paying for it without noticing, that is something you should have done something about previously, you can cancel it now ,  it there won’t be a refund.

if it were provided and you never used it, that’s not really BT’s fault you should have advised them you didn’t want it..if someone buys a product but doesn’t use it, that doesn’t entitle them to a refund , if they didn’t want or need it they shouldn’t have bought it.