PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Walls removed do I need planning

Hello , in 2007 I had 2 walls removed by a builder who said I didn’t need planning permission 15 years ago , is he correct please ? As I am due too sell this week and one question on the agents paperwork asks that question , thanks in advance 

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Forumite Posts: 11,708
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you mean internal walls then no, planning permission probably isn't relevant. But building regulations might be - was anything discussed about that? If nothing has collapsed in the past 14 years then it's probably fine...
  • LEELEE1233
    LEELEE1233 Forumite Posts: 4
    First Post
    Thank you very much , 2 internal walls yes , professional building firm carried out the work from memory nothing about building regs either , and no cracks issues etc in 15 years I have lived here , do I disclose too agents , solicitors etc or am I opening up a whole can of worms ? 
  • Section62
    Section62 Forumite Posts: 6,820
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hello , in 2007 I had 2 walls removed by a builder who said I didn’t need planning permission 15 years ago , is he correct please ? As I am due too sell this week and one question on the agents paperwork asks that question , thanks in advance 

Internal walls? Building not listed? Nothing to do with an integral garage? Then unlikely planning consent would be required.

But not a wise idea to get planning advice from the average builder if you are employing them to do the work. It isn't in their interests to discourage you from letting them crack on with the job.
  • user1977
    user1977 Forumite Posts: 11,708
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2021 at 1:30PM
    Thank you very much , 2 internal walls yes , professional building firm carried out the work from memory nothing about building regs either , and no cracks issues etc in 15 years I have lived here , do I disclose too agents , solicitors etc or am I opening up a whole can of worms ? 
    I'd expect the buyers' surveyor to point it out to them/their solicitor and then they'll ask questions. No real harm in telling your own EA / solicitor about it as a potential issue, in practice I doubt it will mean more than you having to pay for a largely pointless indemnity policy, assuming the surveyor doesn't actually have concerns about the structure.

What you shouldn't do is contact the council (without first discussing with your solicitor) as that would invalidate any indemnity policy.
  • LEELEE1233
    First Post
    Yes, no and no , yes dumb move by me  , thank you for help 
  • LEELEE1233
    First Post
    user1977 said:
    I'd expect the buyers' surveyor to point it out to them/their solicitor and then they'll ask questions. No real harm in telling your own EA / solicitor about it as a potential issue, in practice I doubt it will mean more than you having to pay for a largely pointless indemnity policy, assuming the surveyor doesn't actually have concerns about the structure.

What you shouldn't do is contact the council (without first discussing with your solicitor) as that would invalidate any indemnity policy.
    Thank you very much sensible advice , I will do just that , shall I chat too the selling agent I am using also ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback