Please Help Me Understand If I'm Stupid, or Others

Hi all,

I'll start by saying I'm equal parts exasperated, angry, anxious and frustrated.

Right, long story short, due to an admin !!!!!!-up stemming back to 2015, I am currently paying off 4 separate tax years worth of underpaid tax. I have standing orders setup for simple tax assessment calcs, so that debt is being paid.

I thought I was done worrying about tax, but no.

My company has recently been acquired, and we are being TUPE across to the new firm. No issues, our benefits are all the same.

However, the first payslip from our new company is 26th April - prior to that I logged into HMRC personal and checked all was fine. £12,500 tax-free allowance, minus my car allowance (£9500). The payslip was issued, I logged in this morning (again due to my previous issues with them) and my tax code is now 55TX, my employer name has changed, my company car is no longer listed and my salary has doubled according to HMRC.

So, what information should come from my Employer, and what should come from me as an update via the portal; I'm asking you as nobody (my HR or HMRC) can tell me. And I don't know what I don't know!

This is extremely worrying and without sounding like a snowflake, I've been monitoring my heartrate and it hasn't been below 120 bpm.....this is harming me! :) 

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 April 2021 at 1:22PM
    Car allowances don't usually have any impact on your tax code, they are essentially just extra taxable salary.

Do you mean you have a company car?

Has your "new" employer reported you are working for them before your "old" employer has reported your final payment?

If so have they used the tax code you believe to be correct?

Are you due payments from both old and new employers in 2021:22?
  • I agree with Dazed - it is most likely that HMRC believe that you now have two jobs although 55T is a bit odd. While the op may be of the view that they have not changed employers, the tax reference would certainly have changed and the P45 process carried out.
  • CeePeeBee
    CeePeeBee Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for your responses.  Apologies I was brain dumping a little and still a little miffed.

So yes, Company Car. I meant to say they previously had the BIK taken off my tax-free allowance. As I mentioned, when I checked a few days ago, it suggested I had a standard tax code (£12,500 or whatever it is) with the company car BIK taken off. That left me with a 357L tax code. It looked okay according to my pay.

However I now notice that the employer name has changed which I can completely understand if that's the reason the tax code change was triggered. 

Surely at the point of the next payslip, the reported earnings and tax via PAYE will resolve this?
  • CeePeeBee said:
    Thanks for your responses.  Apologies I was brain dumping a little and still a little miffed.

So yes, Company Car. I meant to say they previously had the BIK taken off my tax-free allowance. As I mentioned, when I checked a few days ago, it suggested I had a standard tax code (£12,500 or whatever it is) with the company car BIK taken off. That left me with a 357L tax code. It looked okay according to my pay.

However I now notice that the employer name has changed which I can completely understand if that's the reason the tax code change was triggered. 

Surely at the point of the next payslip, the reported earnings and tax via PAYE will resolve this?
    Wouldn’t like to bet on it! Check your online account to see what’s there and confirm that you have ceased employment with the previous owners if two ‘current’ employers are shown. Otherwise contact HMRC.
  • CeePeeBee
    edited 22 January at 3:51PM
    <snip>... Otherwise contact HMRC.
    That bit is much easier said than done.

I can confirm that there is only one employer and after I gave them the information this morning, I now seemingly have the right information, albeit my company car isn't showing up - she did say that her systems update overnight so I'll check tomorrow

Sodding nightmare!

But seriously, isn't there a standard amount of info that Employers are required to give? Also, if I don't know I don't know so talking to me, the person paying the tax, would be good..
  • Phone 8am Monday to Saturday - still not universally known. 
  • CeePeeBee
    edited 22 January at 3:51PM
    Phone 8am Monday to Saturday - still not universally known. 
    Yes, but getting hold of people during those hours is painful. But I get it.

So, what should I be expecting Employers to be giving to HMRC, and what should I be letting them know?
  • The former owners should have forwarded forms P45 online to HMRC. 

The ‘new employers won’t have made their first submission until the April payroll was completed. The problem could also be that the P45 details would not have been relevant as they relate to a previous tax year but I’m surmising. 

You just need to confirm what details are held by HMRC and ask to amend accordingly. 
  • CeePeeBee
    This isn't helpful. For example, I spent 90 mins on the phone to them to re-input all my info....checked this morning, no company car has been added. I literally don't know what more I can do.

I tell people, they don't do it, I get twatted with a tax bill. I tried getting an escalation ....to who?!?!
  • CeePeeBee said:
    This isn't helpful. For example, I spent 90 mins on the phone to them to re-input all my info....checked this morning, no company car has been added. I literally don't know what more I can do.

I tell people, they don't do it, I get twatted with a tax bill. I tried getting an escalation ....to who?!?!
    You phoned yesterday? If so, it really won’t be on your record today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback