Company relocation and redundancy.

The site I work at is closing due to being relocated. We have all been told we are being made redundant with no offer of a job at the new site and are now on our notice period.
The site move is to a different area and the distance would have been an issue for some but nobody was given the option of moving or commuting.
My question is, Was the company legally required to offer us a job at the new site as they are now advertising for staff to do the same thing we do.

Replies

• JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Take the redundancy package and apply there

It depends on the actual distance/location

They may be taking the more "pragmatic" approach to avoid any complaints about the new location from those to whom it would be an issue
  • billy2shotsbilly2shots Forumite
    779 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So 'site closure' is the reason. 

If there are no vacancies at another site they don't have to offer you a role (a chance to interview for a role) there. 

• JamoLewJamoLew Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So 'site closure' is the reason. 

If there are no vacancies at another site they don't have to offer you a role (a chance to interview for a role) there. 

gazleics said:
    The site I work at is closing due to being relocated. We have all been told we are being made redundant with no offer of a job at the new site and are now on our notice period.
    The site move is to a different area and the distance would have been an issue for some but nobody was given the option of moving or commuting.
    My question is, Was the company legally required to offer us a job at the new site as they are now advertising for staff to do the same thing we do.

There are 
  • edited 30 April 2021 at 10:40AM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2021 at 10:40AM
    gazleics said:

How far away is the other site? Is it commutable?   There's nothing to stop you inquiring.  
  • thebrexitunicornthebrexitunicorn Forumite
    175 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There should be redundancy consultation, has this happened yet? This is exactly the kind of question that can be raised, if you want to work at the new site.  The company has perhaps taken the view that it wouldn’t be reasonable to expect staff to travel to the new site.  
    It’s impossible to speculate as to whether the company’s approach  is appropriate or not because we don’t have the details.  If you want one of the roles the best course of action is probably to speak to your employer about it.  
  • billy2shotsbilly2shots Forumite
    779 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think it's also worth noting that a 'new site doing the same thing we do' could be completely different to them advertising the same role as the OP's.

Kwik fit Manchester is closing down.

Kwik fit Liverpool need staff and do the same thing.

But do Kwik fit Liverpool need Mechanics, Managers, cleaners or delivery drivers?
  • gazleicsgazleics Forumite
    26 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry for not getting back sooner, I'll try and fill in some of the details.
    We were told that our site was closing and the production and warehousing is to be relocated to another area where the Head office is and everything will be under one roof.( There is no other production or warehousing site )
    I had a meeting and was told the site was closing and I was being made redundant and my notice period was to start the next day.
    I wasn't offered any position or asked if I'd be willing to move or commute to the new area.
    I work in production and everybody else is being made redundant with no offer of a job.  2 of the warehouse staff have been offered jobs but not the others and there was no selection process for this.
    Now a few weeks later they are advertising for production and warehouse staff for the new site and they have asked 2 of the production staff if they would be willing to stay on for 6 months to go to the new site and help get it up and running which we assume would also mean training the new staff. This would only be temporary and they are still being made redundant.
    So as I said in my original post, Was the company legally required to offer us a job at the new site? as they will still be doing exactly the same thing just in a different location.

• edited 2 May 2021 at 9:03PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2021 at 9:03PM
    Doesn't sound as if there's yet a job to go to. As the new set up doesn't even exist. 
  • superbigalsuperbigal Forumite
    488 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Are more than 20 being made redundant ?  If so there is a process called consultation.  If said process has not been followed get ready to fill your boots.
  • ian16527ian16527 Forumite
    148 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have been made redundant several times and it was always mentioned at the at risk interview that other positions in the company/other facilities would be explored to see if anything would be suitable.
    There never was mind you, but in your case there is. Possibly contact ACAS for some guidance