Passport Office

10 out of 10 for the service from Passport renewal. Sent in my daughters renewal last Thursday at 2pm, received the new passport at 2pm this Thursday. 1 week for a renewal. Amazing service.

All done online as well. 

I was really expecting a long wait, website said 10 weeks. 

Comments

• Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Possibly due to the fact not many are travelling.
  • dinglebert
    dinglebert Posts: 1,224
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The thing is that the Passport price rocketed a number of years ago.  The reason they said was so they could provide a much faster service.   They now provide a much faster service.   If anyone deserves praise its us the passport payers.  We have provided the money for them to do their job.  
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,165
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The thing is that the Passport price rocketed a number of years ago.  The reason they said was so they could provide a much faster service.   They now provide a much faster service.   If anyone deserves praise its us the passport payers.  We have provided the money for them to do their job.  
    Rocketed? It is only £75.50 now. When you account for inflation the real terms cost has doubled over 25 years, so hardly rocketed.

I am not sure people can be praised for buying something at minimal cost which offers incredible value for money. 
  • dinglebert
    dinglebert Posts: 1,224
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rocketed? It is only £75.50 now. When you account for inflation the real terms cost has doubled over 25 years, so hardly rocketed.

I am not sure people can be praised for buying something at minimal cost which offers incredible value for money. 

It jumped around 40% one year, which by any terms is a large increase.  The increase was for a single purpose which was to take on more staff to get the passports out quicker.   It worked.   We paid for their efficency.
  • Thomas_Crown
    Thomas_Crown Posts: 884
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

The cost of a UK passport rocketed from around £35 to around £70, when John Prescott was the minister responsible for the Passport Office. The equivalent now is £85 for a paper application. That is a direct comparison, not the online price.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,375
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite

It jumped around 40% one year, which by any terms is a large increase.  The increase was for a single purpose which was to take on more staff to get the passports out quicker.   It worked.   We paid for their efficency.
    The increase was actually due to a shift in paying for consulate offices and staff.  These costs were paid from a general budget, so everyone paid, even if you never travelled.

A decision was made to load more of these costs onto those who may need the services (i,e. those travelling abroad) and this was done through the Passport fee.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback