New scam? "The DWP has suspended your NI number due to fraudulent activity"

This was a phone call received this morning from 0800 791 1964 with a recorded message. I'm not sure what they are trying to do but as my tax is PAYE and I do not claim any benefits, there can't be any fraud

One to watch out for...

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,125
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh  those jokers   
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It’s the UK version of the SSA scam that has been around for ages in the good old USA
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I had my NI being fraudulently being used at the Welsh border on one of these calls recently. 
  • Boffinman
    Boffinman Posts: 90
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had my NI being fraudulently being used at the Welsh border on one of these calls recently. 
    It could happen if they had a security leek
    ..and left you feeling sheepish...
  • liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 383
    Forumite
    I'll do the sheep for you don't worry lol yes I'm Welsh ye I had 2 of the ni ones from 2 different numbers recently
  • GSDMum
    GSDMum Posts: 211
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had a message yesterday saying an unauthorised person was trying to log into my HSBC account, "If this wasn't you, click the link"!

It happens I don't have such an account, but if I did, if I was stressed, having a bad few days and not thinking straight, I could have panicked. Guess what these morons are relying on.... catching you at a bad time.

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800
    Forumite
    GSDMum said:
    I had a message yesterday saying an unauthorised person was trying to log into my HSBC account, "If this wasn't you, click the link"!

It happens I don't have such an account, but if I did, if I was stressed, having a bad few days and not thinking straight, I could have panicked. Guess what these morons are relying on.... catching you at a bad time.

Exactly this - it's a numbers game - literally

These guys (well their computers) make MILLIONS of calls a day -- their "success" rate is very low - but they only need to complete a few scams per day to make it worthwhile

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,445
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I think everyone should start off on the premise that everybody they don't know who cold contacts them is out to scam them until proved otherwise.

There are so many stories in the news and threads on here about being scammed by fake websites.

Sad world we live in but we need to protect ourselves from people like this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback