Windows/Cold

Options
Hi, wondering if anyone has any experience?

My rented flat has single glazed windows and I'm sure that's part of the reason why it never get's warm in my flat. I've seen those transparent things that you stick over the window which are suppsosed to act as another 'layer' of insulation?

Anyone know if they work?

Thank you
Shanni

Comments

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never used what you suggested myself, but my friend attached a bit of perpex to the inside of their windows and that seemed to work.

:)
  • jus4si
    Options
    :) hi there, i use this window draught excluder stuff as i have crap windows too. I buy mine from homebase but i have recently noticed it in wilkinson. It is good stuff, as it stops all condensation, and keeps the draught out, but you have to make sure that your windows and frames are bone dry, if not it wont stick. I have had problems with this before so this year i have bought some thin strips of wood that i am going to nail to the window frames and stick the tape to this. If you have metal framed windows i cant see that this will work. anyway good look with it. ;)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Shanni

I remember living in a cold and draughty flat years ago. I bought some plastic glazing stuff that you used a hairdryer to fix/stretch into place. I don't know if it's still on sale or whether technology has moved on since then. It was easy to put up and made a big difference to the draughts and cold, so it's worth trying something similar.

Do you have radiators in your rooms? If yes, have you put foil behind them? This will help to reflect the heat back into the room.

If your curtains are long enough, tuck them behind the radiators otherwise the heat is hidden behind the curtains.

You might feel a bit silly but if you live alone, why not wear a woolly hat indoors? Most of your heat escapes from your head and wearing a hat will help you to keep warm.

Hope this helps.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • shanni
    shanni Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    :) Thanks so much for all your replies. I will look for somrthing in the DIY shops. It's nice to know that there is something that will work (before I buy it). The main thing I think, is that the windows are not draughty, the radiators (single ones) are too small for the rooms and therefore, I lose the heat onto the cold windows. I hate having the curtains drawn, it's depressing.

Thanks everyone
    Shanni
  • ant_onlineuk
    Options
    I find that George (ASDA) do some great jumpers this time of year ;)
  • shanni
    shanni Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Shanni
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts