Artex vs Sandtex

Options
Hello

Not sure if this is the right place for a question like this but here we go...

We have recently bought our first house and most of the ceilings are covered with a textured surface that our survey said “might” be artex/asbestos. We have had a plasterer in who says this is more than likely sandtex so he can scrape it off and skim. 

I had a google of sandtex and it looks like it is outdoor paint for houses and I can’t find anything about it being on ceilings. Has anyone had any experience of sandtex in their house? I am worried that it may be asbestos after all and don’t want fibres floating around the whole house.

Thanks

Comments

• DeeEyeNo
    DeeEyeNo Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get Asbestos testing kits from Amazon. I just used one last week. They are pretty expensive but I felt it was worth it for the peace of mind. I sent the sample away on Friday and I got the results emailed to me this morning. Thankfully it came back negative for asbestos

This is the one i used

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Asbestos-Samples-Testing-Instructions-Postage/dp/B087YKX7JH/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2CYVL50O19E5Q&dchild=1&keywords=asbestos+test+kit&qid=1619534387&sprefix=asbestos,aps,175&sr=8-7
  • JayK_12
    JayK_12 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Great thank you 
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 April 2021 at 6:00PM
    Options
    How old is the house? If it's pre 2000 any coating could contain a small element of asbestos. If it's younger, the chances are remote.
  • Phil4432
    Phil4432 Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JayK_12 said:
    Hello

Not sure if this is the right place for a question like this but here we go...

We have recently bought our first house and most of the ceilings are covered with a textured surface that our survey said “might” be artex/asbestos. We have had a plasterer in who says this is more than likely sandtex so he can scrape it off and skim. 

I had a google of sandtex and it looks like it is outdoor paint for houses and I can’t find anything about it being on ceilings. Has anyone had any experience of sandtex in their house? I am worried that it may be asbestos after all and don’t want fibres floating around the whole house.

Thanks

Get rid of the plasterer, before he kills somebody.  He's not an asbestos professional.  He has no way of determining if its asbestos, and the fact that he's willing to risk his health as well as yours, suggests he's a moron.

Get it tested by a professional company.  If it's artex, and the company says its in a safe condition, there's no real reason to remove it.  Just lightly put a couple of coats of paint on it.

If you want it removed, then see if an asbestos company will do it and take all of the necessary precautions.

I got mine checked, it was declared safe and I painted it over.  Looks fine, and if its left alone will not cause any issues.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback