Probate

Options
 My husband of 25 years died in January.  His will left his son his half of our house. I have life interest in his half of our home until my death. It will then be sold - son gets his half my children get my half.  I have life interest in his half of our home until my death.  Same terms as my Will.  
His son has always been controlling and I’ve tolerated it for his dads sake.  My solicitor is dealing with probate which is fine except son taking weeks to sign documents.   Doesn’t seem to realise probate is in his interest seems more important for him to do things in his own way. And possibly to wind me up!  It would take too long to detail his past behaviour however his delaying signing is making me nervous for my future.  I thought after my husbands death I would not have to have anything more to do with him.
 My question is as joint trustee of his father’s share of our house how much authority does he actually have?    Husbands Will says I should keep the house in good repair so can son demand repairs have to be done at my expense e.g. repairing a roof or something expensive?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 April 2021 at 5:30PM
    Options
    If the roof needs repairing, then probably  yes. If it doesn’t, then no, 

How the will is worded would be relevant, 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • nana6
    nana6 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for responding.
    I thought about explaining a bit more about the son but it’s too personal and actually not really relevant though I raised it.
    I was my  husband’s carer for seven years and maintained house which I would continue to do.  It’s my home.  
     I am just trying to get my head round the implications of being joint trustees.  
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    nana6 said:
    Thank you for responding.
    I thought about explaining a bit more about the son but it’s too personal and actually not really relevant though I raised it.
    I was my  husband’s carer for seven years and maintained house which I would continue to do.  It’s my home.  
     I am just trying to get my head round the implications of being joint trustees.  
    While you are happy to remain in your home it is unlikely that there will be anything for the trustees to do and therefore you should have no need to have to deal with him. If at some point in the future you want or need to move he will need to be involved, in selling your existing home and in the purchase of a replacement.

You could always stand down as a trustee and appoint your children instead. 
  • nana6
    nana6 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     Solicitor who drew up our wills added clause  allowing me to sell and move without son’s involvement other than keeping him informed through our solicitors.
    I’m getting texts from him claiming  my solicitor is giving him the wrong information and that we need to meet despite my solicitor saying all communication was to go through her.

I like the idea of standing down as a trustee he wouldn’t attempt to bully my children.
    Thank you 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2021 at 3:52PM
    Options
    nana6 said:

I’m getting texts from him claiming  my solicitor is giving him the wrong information and that we need to meet despite my solicitor saying all communication was to go through her.

Respond to one text with a polite but firm message reminding him that all communication need to be via your solicitor as you do not feel up to dealing with such matters [or words to that effect].

If he texts you again, simply use the stuck record technique: 'please see my previous text on this matter'. Do that a couple of times and then simply ignore the texts.

I wouldn't block his number in case there really is a time when you need to be able to contact each other - and he could always text you from a different phone, so it would be both pointless and potentially inflammatory.

nana6 said:

You're right; the history may be impossible to forget, but it isn't relevant to the future unless you allow it to be.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback