We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Damp and damper
lookstraightahead
Posts: 5,558 Forumite
Hello all
I'm some advice about a house we have just bought.
Its an old house (200 years) with no DPC. There is tanking in the cellar and dry lining downstairs, upstairs there have been previous problems with guttering, and I think there's some other issues.
Anyway, I need someone to come out to assess it all. I am happy that we will need lots of work doing, but at the same time I have limited knowledge and don't want to be blinded by science and have more done that needed.
What expertise am I looking for - are there specific companies that will give the house the once over for all types of damp?
thank you.
I'm some advice about a house we have just bought.
Its an old house (200 years) with no DPC. There is tanking in the cellar and dry lining downstairs, upstairs there have been previous problems with guttering, and I think there's some other issues.
Anyway, I need someone to come out to assess it all. I am happy that we will need lots of work doing, but at the same time I have limited knowledge and don't want to be blinded by science and have more done that needed.
What expertise am I looking for - are there specific companies that will give the house the once over for all types of damp?
thank you.
0
Comments
-
There are plenty of companies around, but getting the right one who won't try and sell you a load of useless treatments can be more difficult. Might be worth living there for a while and see how things work out and give yourself a bit of time.2
-
I presume there will be other similar houses in the 'hood? See if you can have socially-distanced chats with any that have had recent work - you really want a 200-year old specialist (I know what I mean).
1 -
Thank you. This is my worry, that I will come across as naive. It's just something that I'm worrying about a lot.stuart45 said:There are plenty of companies around, but getting the right one who won't try and sell you a load of useless treatments can be more difficult. Might be worth living there for a while and see how things work out and give yourself a bit of time.0 -
😂😂 yes they are all very old houses but all different. Actually that's a good idea thank youJeepers_Creepers said:I presume there will be other similar houses in the 'hood? See if you can have socially-distanced chats with any that have had recent work - you really want a 200-year old specialist (I know what I mean).0 -
https://www.heritage-house.org/ would be a good starting point. Plenty of information about the tricks and cons some within the damp proofing industry use. You may also find an independent surveyor through one of the links..Just avoid anyone with connections with the Property Care Association (PCA) or a damp "treatment" company - The PCA is the trade body for the damp proofing industry, so they have a vested interest in recommending products to treat (or hide) damp.
Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
