We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Knee wall storage
saver2000
Posts: 99 Forumite
I have recently bought a house where the first floor is in the roof space with dormers at the front.
At the back of the property there are no dormers and knee wall is quite tall (probably at least 1.3metres so that would lead me to believe behind the wall (which sounds like plaster board) there could possibly be a fair amount of storage space between joists etc.
If I wanted to add some knee wall cupboards who should I speak to? A loft conversion company maybe or just a regular builder?
Is there any reason why such a thing was never considered when the property was built? (eg structural issues) or probably just cost?
I looked at the original planning permission and there was supposed to be dormers on the back but it was rejected as nearby properties are bungalows (understandable)
At the back of the property there are no dormers and knee wall is quite tall (probably at least 1.3metres so that would lead me to believe behind the wall (which sounds like plaster board) there could possibly be a fair amount of storage space between joists etc.
If I wanted to add some knee wall cupboards who should I speak to? A loft conversion company maybe or just a regular builder?
Is there any reason why such a thing was never considered when the property was built? (eg structural issues) or probably just cost?
I looked at the original planning permission and there was supposed to be dormers on the back but it was rejected as nearby properties are bungalows (understandable)
0
Comments
-
A builder would probably be your best bet if you can find a decent one willing to take on a small job - The good ones are booked up on bigger jobs for quite some time. A loft conversion company is likely to charge you well in excess of what the job is worth, and wouldn't be able to do it any quicker..A general purpose handyman would be a better choice - The job covers several skills (carpentry, plastering, painting/decorating). I would imagine that once the wall is opened up, you'll find insulation poor to nonexistent. Use the opportunity to add more, lots more.Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.0 -
Do you really need a builder? Or, at least, you could do some preliminary work yourself.
I'd start by making a good sized hole in the plasterboard and shining a light through. If all you are going to do is continue the floors further into the eaves and plasterboard under the roof, that's not all that hard. It's a handyman/DIY job.No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?0 -
I was thinking about maybe just cutting a hole and building a frame to hold either a cupboard or drawers.I'm happy to DIY as much as possible, I was just a bit concerned as a google search turns up a couple of results suggesting the knee walls support the rafters.I have bought an inspection camera (I think it may come in handy) so I could drill a small access hole and see what is back there in terms of space and supports etc.One of the reasons this came up anyway is I wanted to route cables for CCTV from the soffits so I wanted to see how I can route the cables
0 -
knock it out and jump in . If its unsuitable throw your cables through insulate it to death and re plasterboard it . forget the iddy biddy camera on a decent size space . Knock it out and get your head in
0 -
Well it's turned out to be a nightmare. It doesn't look like I can't just get behind the wall.There is just wood everywhere behind the wall (like thick wood the whole length of the wall). Never seen anything like this before0
-
A picture speaks a thousand words...saver2000 said:Well it's turned out to be a nightmare. It doesn't look like I can't just get behind the wall.There is just wood everywhere behind the wall (like thick wood the whole length of the wall). Never seen anything like this before2 -
No, you've confused me. That is a double negative which means you can get behind the wall. Did you mean "it doesn't look like I can get behind the wall" OR "it looks like I can't get behind the wall"? As posted by @pmartin86 a piccie would be great.saver2000 said:Well it's turned out to be a nightmare. It doesn't look like I can't just get behind the wall.There is just wood everywhere behind the wall (like thick wood the whole length of the wall). Never seen anything like this before1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


