New Post Advanced Search

Wedding Venue Not Contactable

2 replies 121 views
LaurathornleyLaurathornley Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I am looking for some advice. 
I am getting married in July 21 and suddenly our reception venue's website, phone line and emails have all gone down and we have no way to contact them.
There has been articles in the local paper saying the venue is linked to other companies (all owned by same people) which are under investigation for investment fraud.

I have found another email from the weddings section of the business, but apart from a generic response which was sent out to all couples, I have not had any real communication from them in over a week of trying to speak to someone. I have an appointment with them tomorrow, but they won't confirm this is still going ahead, and I am expectant that it won't.

I have paid the deposit on credit card, but 90% of the balance is due in 2 weeks time. I don't know what to do for the best, as I don't feel comfortable paying a balance to somewhere I can't even get into contact with, but if I pull out of the agreement, I am unsure if I would be able to claim back the deposit through the section 75 scheme.

I know I am not the only person having issues with this chain of venues, but in order for my wedding to even go ahead in July I need to make a decision ASAP on whether to try and switch venues. Due to COVID and all insurances pulling out of offering wedding insurance, this isn't something I have even been able to take out. 

Thanks for any advice in advance.  

Replies