We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Kitchen worktops replacement. Rough price?

Kitchen worktops have turned to dust where water ran behind the sink. Rest is a but scruffy so I figured best replace the lot.

Just measured out 320cm x 60cm. Any idea how much the fitting will cost, and where's the best place to buy sensibly priced worktops. I'd imagine it's cheaper to buy the work tops and get the installation done separately? Might be a check a trade lottery for that though (shudder)

I don't mind the usual chipboard stuff, not going for solid marble here....

Comments

  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 7,251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    At my previous home I bought the rolled edge laminated chipboard worktop from one of the DIY sheds which cost about sixty quid and found a carpenter advertising in the little A5 sized village newsletter thing that got shoved through the letterbox once a month.  He charged 20 quid an hour (this was in 1997) and was there all morning, so £80.

    The last kitchen I bought beech and cut / routed / installed it myself as the section is all right angles do no problem doing the corners.    Next time around I'll be paying a fortune and having corian.

    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.