We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Varnish over wood stain?

Hi all,

As the title suggests, is it possible to put varnish over wood stain? 

I have Ikea outdoor wooden furniture, which has been stained. 

To protect the finish I was thinking of satin yacht varnish or similar outdoor varnish. 

My assumption is that it will be easier to maintain (easier to wipe any spills or bird droppings) and should not need to be applied annually.

Any thoughts?


Comments

  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Varnish should be ok, I've always used a clear polyurathane "varnish".
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,337 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've been using Yacht varnish for years on wooden furniture.
    However the last 2 yrs I've found that the rain has got in and stained the wood. That's with 2 careful coats. I tried to brands of the varnish.
    I'll give the polyurathane a chance and if that doesn't work I'm paintin it.
    BTW there is a wonderful easy to apply water based stain/varnish on the market. Do not use it. The moisture gets in and is held there giving you moss and mould that you can't see till it breaks through and it's the d**** to get off.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.