Curry’s price match or NOT

Disgruntledoooer
Disgruntledoooer Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 13 April 2021 at 5:01AM in Praise, vent & warnings
I recently bought a laptop online from curry’s , the same day I saw the same item for less. So I followed the price match link on their website , I got through to an agent on the online chat , explained and gave the relevant info , the website where I had seen the it3m cheaper - the agent confirmed they would match the cheaper price and I would get the difference paid to my credit card. GREAT ! 
But no , after 2 weeks nothing appeared as a refund on my Cc . I logged onto their online chat and explained , this time they said the claim had been REJECTED , due to the TECHINTHEBASKET.COM not being a UK COMPANY  !?!? 
but why wasn’t I informed of this ? I asked to do another price match but because the 7 day window had closed they said I couldn’t . I asked to speak to a manager and I got fobbed off with ring this number .....
After 45 minutes and finally getting through to the right department I spoke to an agent , I went through the same conversation as I had online . The response was the same .
I asked if this price match malarkey was just a SCAM  - being told initially that they would match the price BUT then REJECT IT - NOT INFORM ME - FOR ME TO WAIT FOR THE MONEY UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE TO SUBMIT ANOTHER PRICE MATCH 
I wonder if anybody has actually made a successful price match claim ?
again I asked to speak to a manager , the agent put me on hold and later returned to offer me a £15 refund as a gesture of goodwill .AGAIN  I said I WANTED TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER , the agent said would receive a call within 24 to  48 hours - I AM WAITING ! 
I don’t hold out much hope 
So is this whole Curry’s price match a scam ? I’d call it fraudulent ! 

Comments

• Swoosh84
    Swoosh84 Posts: 166
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've used it a fair amount of times, always worked for me.

I live pretty much next door to a Currys and I'm rather impatient. So generally speaking if I need something I check online for it. Then if Currys have it, buy it. Always had my refund to date.

Was aware it needed to be a UK company (it's in their T&C's). Also excludes things like 3rd party marketplace sellers.

Agree though that you should not have received confirmation that the refund was accepted. As you had it accepted there was no opportunity to look elsewhere. Not sure much can be done other than complain. How much is the product on sale for on Amazon today?

J
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,133
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No it isn't a scam or fraudulent.  The price match comes with various terns and conditions, and rightly so.  Anytime I have been told a price would be honoured it was mentioned that it would be refunded if it met the required conditions.  Sounds like there may have been a miscommunication.  Was there much of a difference in price?
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As above used it subject to terms and conditions without needing to shout .
  • I had my utilities with Avro. I was ill for a year staying with family. I sold my property give weeks ago. Avro owe me £661.Despite e mails I still haven't had the money. They keep saying they have signed it off and it will be in my Bank in ten days utter rubbish 
  • Swoosh84
    Swoosh84 Posts: 166
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had my utilities with Avro. I was ill for a year staying with family. I sold my property give weeks ago. Avro owe me £661.Despite e mails I still haven't had the money. They keep saying they have signed it off and it will be in my Bank in ten days utter rubbish 
    Checked Currys T&Cs, afraid they won't cover this :)

Start a new thread in the Energy subsection of the form!
  • zune
    zune Posts: 7
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i would class the Price Match as a misleading scam. Have just been told that they will not price match with another retailer as the other retailer offers 'exclusive discounts' - what on earth does that mean??

Currys are making people believe they are the cheapest when they are clearly not (by over 10% in this case on a £2k purchase)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,617
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It pays to read the terms of any price match promise.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback