New Post Advanced Search

Air Europa refund advice?

3 replies 72 views
BenCraig270384BenCraig270384 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help us/ point us towards any help already around that I've missed.
Long story short,  we are still awaiting a refund from Air Europa from May last year and don't know what to do. 

We booked our flight with booking agent ' mytrip' ( AKA gotogate International) which was then cancelled by Air Europa due to the pandemic and we have been awaiting a refund since. The flights were may 24 and returning 31 May from Paris to Malaga return.

Our booking agent mytrip have told us they have requested the refund from Air Europa and will let us know when they get a response.

Travel insurance have said they can't help as they have not said they are not going to refund.  Credit card is out of the time window to help. I have contacted the booking agent who say its up to the airline, and the airline, who have said they can't deal with us directly as was booked through an agent or have said that they can't answer queries as this will delay things further! Have also tried to complain twice through their systems,  have had a confirmation email that the complaint was received,  but then nothing.  

Thanks in advance 

Ben

Replies

• Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have contacted the booking agent who say its up to the airline, and the airline, who have said they can't deal with us directly as was booked through an agent or have said that they can't answer queries as this will delay things further! Have also tried to complain twice through their systems,  have had a confirmation email that the complaint was received,  but then nothing.  

You are experiencing one of the downsides of choosing to book through a third party. (are not alone - https://www.trustpilot.com/review/mytrip.co.uk)

You are the customer of mytrip, you gave them your money to buy a ticket and they gave the money to Air Europa. MyTrip is Air Europa's customer not you which is why the airline cannot deal with you.
    The process should be that....airline advise their customer (mytrip) of cancellation and they advise you. MyTrip request refund from airline and after they have received it they will deduct their fees (from terms and conditions) and return any remainder to you.

I would not waste time complaining to the airline, you are not their customer, you have no contractual relationship with them, your energy should be concentrated on chasing MyTrip....either they have received the refund from the airline and are sitting with it in their account or they have not received the refund as they have not requested it or not chased it up. 

You are not alone in discovering that adding an online ticket flogger into the mix when looking to save a £ or 2 is not always a good idea. Booking direct with the airline can save you much frustration (and fees)

• WestinWestin Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on above but were the flights actually cancelled by Air Europa or did you have to cancel your travel plans because of the pandemic? 
  • BenCraig270384BenCraig270384 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you for that in depth answer Caz3121.   

Was certain it was the airline,  but  now feeling it is my trip pulling the wool over my eyes. Have contacted them and they have given me 10- 15 days and will have an update.  

It was the airline that cancelled the flight.  I held out until they did as didnt want  to choose a voucher.

Thanks you