Bankruptcy friendly Bank Account

Hi guys,
Online bankruptcy application is now showing ‘ready to submit’. 

I obviously need a basic bank account to make sure I still receive my income once the OR freezes my Current accounts, my main banking is with Santander. 

Can anyone recommend a basic account. I was looking at HSBC but after speaking to someone in customer services I wasn’t filled with confidence.

Comments

• Sonic101
    Sonic101 Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    From what I've been reading, Nationwide, Barclays and the Co-operative Bank are "bankrupt friendly" and offer basic accounts for bankrupts.
  • I have an existing Monzo account, is this classed as a basic account, or would it likely be frozen? 
  • Bluecar2
    Bluecar2 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a Monzo account and then opened a Nationwide as soon as the Bankruptcy had gone through, both have been really good
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Monzo should be fine
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just to clarify, it is the bank who decides whether to freeze an account or not, rather than the OR.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Sonic101 said:
    From what I've been reading, Nationwide, Barclays and the Co-operative Bank are "bankrupt friendly" and offer basic accounts for bankrupts.
    I agree with the above 
  • JCS1 said:
    Just to clarify, it is the bank who decides whether to freeze an account or not, rather than the OR.
    It is yes. Sorry just worded it wrong. I have been informed from my current bank my account will be frozen until they decide whether to allow me to continue using my account with them. 

Now, after speaking to Stepchange, they tell me I must not open a new account until after the. Bankruptcy  is confirmed by the Official receiver? And must continue to use and have my wages paid into my current account, but wouldn’t that mean I would lose my income for a week or 2. 

The reason I haven’t hit submit yet is because I am soooo confused about what to do, majority of the bills, including food shopping for the family comes from my wage, not having that money is not an option!! So am I allowed to move my income to my monzo account for example and still have access to it? 
  • James-may
    James-may Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I got s HSBC basic account 
  • Yeh I have opened an HSBC account. And spoken to the insolvency service, who have stated the basic account will not be frozen. If the bank do, then apparently I need to make an urgent call to the IS who will get in touch with the bank and request they unfreeze the account
  • James-may said:
    I got s HSBC basic account 
    Did you have any issues accessing your account or even money when you were declared bankrupt, if in fact you did declare bankruptcy?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback