Forum Home» Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving

Keeping myself right RE: SSP/Sickpay from 1 employer while working my small business.

New Post Advanced Search

Keeping myself right RE: SSP/Sickpay from 1 employer while working my small business.

2 replies 66 views
KimkatKimkat Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I'll try to keep this to the point.

I have a part-time job working for the NHS 2 days a week. Since the end of January, I have been signed off sick with anxiety due to covid.
I also have a hobby business, at the end of March I handed in my notice (Covid isn't going anywhere, and returning is untenable to me), I decided to go self-employed and try to make a go of the hobby business as a for-profit business and have registered as such and plan to begin taking clients after my NHS contract ends at the end of this month (April). 

I have been approached by someone who would like me to do work for them on the days I am not contracted to work my NHS job during April.
Can I accept this work while receiving SSP?

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that there may be something in your contract from the NHS: I know ours says that we may not take another job without clearing it first (conflict of interest, being too tired to do our job properly etc), and I believe it also says that if you're off sick, you're not to work elsewhere. 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • KimkatKimkat Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks! I'm not sure what my contract says because it's been a long time since I've seen it so I think I'm going to just continue with my original timeline of taking it easy this month and next. It seems like the least stressful option!