Cancelling TalkTalk when they don't service our new home

Options
We're moving in about 6 weeks and our new build house is on the OFNL fibre network. TalkTalk do not supply through this so as far as I can see we can't move our contract over. We will need to cancel but have nearly a year left to run on the current contract.  Will we still have to pay exit fees when we have no option but to move away from them?

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BettyVob said:
    Will we still have to pay exit fees when we have no option but to move away from them?
    According to clause 17.2 of the TALKTALK CUSTOMER TERMS AND CONDITIONS, probably:
    We’ll try our best to transfer the services but, if we can’t transfer some or all of them, and any are in the minimum period, you may have to pay the charges to the end of the minimum period.
  • BettyVob
    BettyVob Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chino said:
    BettyVob said:
    Will we still have to pay exit fees when we have no option but to move away from them?
    According to clause 17.2 of the TALKTALK CUSTOMER TERMS AND CONDITIONS, probably:
    We’ll try our best to transfer the services but, if we can’t transfer some or all of them, and any are in the minimum period, you may have to pay the charges to the end of the minimum period.
    Rats. I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer. We reached the end of a contract last yer and signed up to another one 🤦‍♀️
  • ann_droid
    ann_droid Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi
    Unless the speed TT are supplying is less than the HANDBACK threshold.....

HandBack threshold....

If my BB is less than the Handback threshold for 30 days or more I get to go for free.

Today the value is    69.3
    VDSL Range A (Clean) 8075.1201969.3

as would you.

Forum, Agin 'em or Just Neutral?

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 April 2021 at 2:28PM
    Options
    OFNL  is this https://www.ofnl.co.uk/residents-businesses/available-isps. It's not Openreach so any "handback treshold that is suggested above isn't relevant.

As it's unlikely that TT subscribe to the OFNL network then they wont be able to provide service and you get stung with the early termination charge.

This subject comes up frequently when people decide to move home and then discover that they've taken out a 2 year contract and have to pay ETC for the remaining period and I'm afarid that the answer is always the same.  That is why the ISP's only offer longer term contracts or increase the costs for shorter ones..

It's always worth trying to look ahaead and working out what the consequences will be if your circumstances change and bear that in mind when looking for a "good deal".

A lot of new developments are are taking the opportunity to install their own fibre networks which may preclude you from taking out services with the larger and more established ISP's.

Something else that bites people in new building schemes is district or building heating systems. These tend to be under the control of the developer or management company and not subject to the same legislation as other utility providers and can work out very expensive as you have no option but to use another provider.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2021 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Although it’s unfortunate, I would think the broadband  ETC’s would be only a small part of the total cost of moving home, obviously it’s being wise after the event, but if moving is something that’s is a possibility, then committing to a new minimum term at the current address is risky, especially now, as there doesn’t seem to be a day without some ‘alternative’ network provider announcing an area they intend to service, and with new builds an easy way to get customers is by doing a sweetheart deal with the developer , who lock out the likes of Openreach, so the purchaser of the house has effectively no choice but to use the company that the builder did a deal with , some of these alt nets offer a choice of ISP, but on closer inspection they are all part of the same group.
  • redpasta
    Options
    This is probably too late for you, but perhaps it helps somebody else who comes across this thread:

I was in the same situation (with Sky), and they were going to charge an ETC of ~£100. During the cancelation conversation, I told them I didn't have a choice, as they weren't supplying my new property. They ended up waiving the fee.

It's worth a try :)
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Always worth a try - Don't ask, don't get. :)

However I don't think they're allowed to make the ETC the full value of the remaining contract period - e.g. if you normally pay £25 per month then they need to deduct the cost of (not) providing the service for that period from that amount, so it may only be, say £15 per month. (I'm sure someone will be able to explain this better / point to an Ombudsman ruling). :)
    Jenni x
  • triade
    triade Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    this page says you can leave contract without penalty if they can't provide the speeds they promised as part of the contract. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switching/switching-broadband-provider
    that makes a lot of sense, since it is likely part of your contract that they must provide the service to you. if they do not provide the service, they will likely be in breach of the contract and so you will be entitled exercise whichever clause covers termination in this case.

• Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    However in this case it would only apply if the speeds at the current address don't meet the stated levels - it's not a get-out for them not being able to supply a new address, as the change of address is the customer's choice. Certainly worth investigating though (if the speeds are indeed poor at the current address). :) 
    Jenni x
  • triade
    triade Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    that's a fair point.
    it seems unfair that if talktalk can't provide services at the new address, they could charge an early termination fee, because that would be a failing of their service, not the customer.  at the same time, it would raise costs for talktalk if they had to terminate it early. I suppose then, the question would be, what are reasonable costs in that case?

to OP, it seems that they may not be able to provide fibre, but they can surely still provide standard broadband over the phone line? if you talk to them I am sure they may be able to adjust your contract and you could stay for the remainder of your contract with a lower cost and lower speeds?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback