We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Standalone structure for kiwi plant

kimwp
kimwp Posts: 1,749 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
I have (hopefully not fruitlessly :smiley:) bought a kiwi issai, but the place I was going to put it is probably not sheltered enough. The other place in the garden doesn't have a wall to attach things to - any advice on the best standalone structure?
Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    What about those metal pyramids for plants?
    It would look lovely climbing up those. Or fix a trellis between two posts.
    Buy one of those cheap metal arches. I had one for jasmin for decades before i couldn't mend it any longer

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    How about one of these: :)

• kimwp
    Apodemus said:
    How about one of these: :)

Ha ha, brilliant :)
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • kimwp
    twopenny said:
    What about those metal pyramids for plants?
    It would look lovely climbing up those. Or fix a trellis between two posts.
    Buy one of those cheap metal arches. I had one for jasmin for decades before i couldn't mend it any longer
    Some great ideas, thank you! :smile: I think I'm leaning towards the trellis between post idea, I quite like the idea of sinking the posts into concrete blocks and carrying on the theme through the garden with lights strung from them

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    kimwp said: I have (hopefully not fruitlessly :smiley:) bought a kiwi issai,
    Just got a pair of vines myself. Have constructed an arbor some 4m x 4m, 2.4m high. Hopefully, it will be enough space for one of the vines. The second one, I'm going to plant along a wooden fence.
    The posts I used are set into metal ground spikes, so hopefully, they won't rot at the base like they would if set in to concrete.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback