Covid vaccine side effects and work

Options
Hi all

My partner had his covid vaccine on good Friday as he is an unpaid carer for me.

Anyways the last two days he has been getting side effects. Headache, dizzyness and hot and cold flushes.

He works in a fast food chain and he rang in to ask what is best to do. He hasn't been working there long so really didn't want to take sick day but thought he may get turned away when he goes. He gets his temperature taken so think he might get turned away.

They said it was good that he rang in so that they can get cover but also to get a test as he could be displaying covid symptoms.

I'm just on here to ask what's best to do as the testing thing doesnf ask if you have been vaccinated recently. Also I remmever having to go to a and e and they said they gor alot of false postives from patients who had been recently been vaccinated.

So when you try and book at test it just asks if you have high temp, cough and loss of smell or taste.

Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Doesn't the paperwork he got when he had the vaccine advise?  I think friends who have had side effects said there was something about which side effects didn't need a covid test.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I recall you are supposed to seek medical advice if concerned.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-what-to-expect-after-vaccination

Also you can take part in the yellow card scheme
    https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

• Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We don't think he severely ill just some side effects from the vaccine. 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,680 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you go to this site and complete their questionnaire, you're pretty much guaranteed an e-mail or text asking you to get a COVID test: https://covid.joinzoe.com

When you go to book the test, Zoe is specifically named as one of the list of reasons for getting a test and the fact you've had a recent vaccine is automatically incorporated in the test booking process.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Google for test centres in your area. The whole thing will take about 10 minutes and he'll get a text an hour later. then he can ask work again when armed with this new information.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You won't get a positive covid test from having the vaccine. You won't have the antigen in the nose or throat from the vaccination. It doesn't work like that.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My niece had quite severe reaction to the vaccine.  Very high temperature, muscle aches, vomiting etc.  She called 111 and was told to get a test done although it was strongly suspected it was purely a reaction.  She had a negative result back in under 24 hours.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My nurse sister reckons the best way to avoid the side effects is to drink plenty of fluids for a day or two before the vaccination, and a couple of days after.  And avoid alcohol for a few days each side too.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The problem is, even if he's allowed to work, is it a good idea if he feels ill? I had similar side effects after my first vaccination and I did feel really poorly - nausea, dizziness, shivers and exhaustion for five days. So he should take the time off simply because he's not well. And especially working in a fast food chain, where just being there would exacerbate any feelings of nausea. It doesn't matter how long anyone has been working at any place, if they don't feel well, they shouldn't go to work. It's not as if he has self-inflicted symptoms, it's preventative vaccine. And if he's your carer, that's more than enough work to try to cope with when you have nasty side-effects.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    marlot said:
    My nurse sister reckons the best way to avoid the side effects is to drink plenty of fluids for a day or two before the vaccination, and a couple of days after.  And avoid alcohol for a few days each side too.
    Too late for those of us who've already had the jab. . .  I always drink plenty of fluids though anyway and can't abide alcohol but still had nasty side effects, lasting five days. So that's not true for everyone. I'm starting to think it depends on which version of the vaccine people have been given. My friends who had Pfizer were fine. I had the A-Z.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback