Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Building Control costs

Hi
I hope everyone is well.
I am looking to get a side extension built, and I was advised that the council building controls can delay works, as they can a while to do the inspections.
I was told that there are independent Building Control companies, that although are a little more expensive, would usually come to do an inspection with a couple days of calling them.
Has anyone had experience with independent Building Control companies? Could anyone recommend any (cheap ones) in the Chadwell Heath, RM6 area?
Also could someone advise, what kind of costs I should be budgeting for, for all the Building Control inspections, sign-offs, certificates, etc..
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• edited 31 March at 7:24PM
    DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    30.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 March at 7:24PM
    Less than £1,000 but it depends on the scale of works.  

I far prefer private inspectors.  We get to work with the same person and the fact that they have to sell their services seems to mean they act less like they're doing you a favour than LA ones. 

We use Stroma.   Pretty sure they're national.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razam622 said:
    Hi
    I hope everyone is well.
    I am looking to get a side extension built, and I was advised that the council building controls can delay works, as they can a while to do the inspections.
    I was told that there are independent Building Control companies, that although are a little more expensive, would usually come to do an inspection with a couple days of calling them.
    Has anyone had experience with independent Building Control companies? Could anyone recommend any (cheap ones) in the Chadwell Heath, RM6 area?
    Also could someone advise, what kind of costs I should be budgeting for, for all the Building Control inspections, sign-offs, certificates, etc..
    Thanks in advance.
    Ain't that the truth!  Building Control was supposed to visit our work on the Tuesday morning but didn't arrive.  Builder was told they would be later that day but didn't arrive.  Finally arrived late morning Thursday, messing up the entire schedule for our builder, and meaning the work will not be completed until some time next week.

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for Stroma - we are in Cornwall and Doozer is Midlands, so I guess that's pretty 'national'.