Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Soil pipe partial replacement

Hello. I'm a single female homeowner and therefore always dubious about the prices tradesmen come up with. 
After already paying what I believe was too much this week for a bit of sealant in a gutter, I'm keen to not be ripped off again.
My soil pipe is leaking a bit from the oustide at one of the parts where the pipe joins up. 
I've been quoted 220 to replace this section of pipe.
Is this on the high side? 
Pics aren't great bit may help. The pipe bit that needs replacing is probs 7ft in length.
Thanks 

Replies

• gboy25gboy25 Forumite
    61 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Pics if theyve works this time
  • FaceHeadFaceHead Forumite
    323 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Materials: £10
    Labour: Half day (or most therefore with some travel) 
    Plus cost of quoting etc. 

Is £220 high? Seems a little, but not totally scandalous. It's hard to be definitive based on a couple of pictures. 

If in doubt, get another quote, which might help bring the price down, or help you come to terms with what the job is worth. 

• gboy25gboy25 Forumite
    61 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    FaceHead said:
    Materials: £10
    Labour: Half day (or most therefore with some travel) 
    Plus cost of quoting etc. 

Is £220 high? Seems a little, but not totally scandalous. It's hard to be definitive based on a couple of pictures. 

If in doubt, get another quote, which might help bring the price down, or help you come to terms with what the job is worth. 

Thank you. 
    I'm gonna get another quote tomorrow I think too. 
    I knew tue materials were cheap and k understand there is labour costs but seemed high-ish. In my head it would be under 200. I know 20 is not much more. I'll see what another company says too.
  • Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you take a close-up photo of the part that's actually leaking? Is the pipe actually cracked?
  • gboy25gboy25 Forumite
    61 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Can you take a close-up photo of the part that's actually leaking? Is the pipe actually cracked?
    I will try in the morning. The pipe isnt cracked as far as I'm aware. Its leaking at the join part. 
    When the plumber came he did that typical shaking of the head, and basically said how badly put up/made the pipe was and the best thing was to replace. I should have asked more questions really but it's hard whe  you know so little. 
    I think I'm going to get another quote and ask a bit more. 
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    gboy25 said:
    After already paying what I believe was too much this week for a bit of sealant in a gutter, I'm keen to not be ripped off again.
    I am sorry to disappoint you, but if gutter connection leaks, sealants usually don't work.

We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • edited 30 March at 10:54PM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 March at 10:54PM
    The picture actually isn't that bad if you zoom it.
    It's a solvent-weld branch with two sockets - at the top and at the bottom. Looks like the bottom joint is typically leaking and somebody already tried to fix this with some sort of black sealant.

We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • edited 30 March at 10:25PM
    Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 March at 10:25PM
    That's what I wondered, Grumb. I could see it's solvent fitting, so if that's what's leaking, a good clean up and a wipe over with a glug of pipe solvent adhesive might very well sort it. https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-pipe-weld-cement-250ml/6368x

• gboy25gboy25 Forumite
    61 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks everyone. 
  • gboy25gboy25 Forumite
    61 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    grumbler said:
    The picture actually isn't that bad if you zoom it.
    It's solvent-weld branch with two sockets - at the top and at the bottom. Looks like the bottom joint is typically leaking and somebody already tried to fix this with some sort of black sealant.

When you say solvent-weld branch - what does that mean exactly please? I assume the white marks are dirt and the black sealant is seen just below that? 
    The plumber said about "bad gluing" so maybe that's what he was referring to.