Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Rotten fascia board?

edited 30 March at 3:46PM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
5 replies 231 views
putopaoputopao Forumite
94 Posts
10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
Hi, any suggestion on what can I do to solve this pls?Before I speak to any builder so I will have an idea. Since there is light and wires inside of it, do i need a electrician as well or builder should be fine? I don’t do DIY’s and has no background in such. Any insight of the cost would be really helpful. 

Replies

• Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the soffit - the underside board with all the lights - ok? If so, 'all' that'll need replacing/covering will be the fascia as you say.
    But this will need everything stripping off - the guttering, canopy, PIR light - anything attached to it.
    You might then get away with just having it clad with PVC - a 'hockeystick' profile so the 'hook' goes down over the soffit and gives it a nice edge - where the water will also drip off.
    Are these round things vents or downlighters? If the latter, what aren't there any vents?
    If you go 'PVC', then look at your house and ask yourself 'what colour'? Anthracite? Black? White?
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a  bit labour-intensive, but not a complex job. It does very much affect the appearance of your house, tho', so you want someone who takes care.
    Best, as always, get at least 2 quotes. Try and get personal recommendations for local tradespeeps. Have any neighbours in similar houses (with ply fascias) had theirs done? If so, have a socially-distance chat :smile:
  • putopaoputopao Forumite
    94 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is this an ASAP thing or it can wait until next yr or so? Thanks
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No rush - it's just an eyesore :smile:
    If it becomes holed, then there's a chance of water getting in behind it, but even then there isn't too much actual damage it can do - unless it pours in (which it won't).
    The most vulnerable parts are the ends of the rafters which probably extend past the wall and is possibly what the fascia/soffits are attached to. You don't really want them getting wet for too long.

• EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you need an electrician? I'd ask whoever you get to do the fascia, they may be happy to do everything or they may know an electrician they are used to working with.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.