uPVC windows in conservation area

Options
2»

Comments

• maxsteam
    maxsteam Posts: 718 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would like to replace the windows and doors with something more suitable but I am struggling to find any advice or guidance on what materials I can use and whether I need planning permission to do it. 
    Generally you are allowed to replace the windows with something similar. This puts you in an awkward position. You need to consult the council about the rules for your particular area. It's probably best to wait for the council to wake up after the virus anyway before starting a project. Other people are also sleeping.

As mentioned in other posts, unless you do something blatant, you are unlikely to be asked to remove it.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @shinytop That's really helpful. I've asked the council if there is a section 4. The conservation area appraisal document says there is no S. 4 but the council should consider having one. I've looked everywhere on the website but is no evidence of one as the conservation area map layer is still 'under construction'.  The property is a mid-terrace and all of the other properties in the row have replaced their glazing with modern uPVC so there are no examples of what it 'should' look like to follow. However, I have managed to find one photo on a local history website taken 20 years ago that appears to show the original style of sash windows in one of the houses. I will have a look for some historical planning apps for the area though. 

• shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hopefully they will be able to answer a simple question like "are there any Article 4 directions?"  Is the CA appraisal recent?  The more recent it is the less likely anything will have happened in the meantime.  Good luck!

BTW we had a quote from one of these "local craftsmen who know all about local planning issues" companies to get our existing wooden windows repaired.  It was very, almost comically, expensive. 
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Hopefully they will be able to answer a simple question like "are there any Article 4 directions?"  Yeah..you'd think  :( ... However, it seems not. The 2 emails I sent received automated replies saying that due to covid they are unavailable. 2 phone messages left but not returned. So I thought a sensible way to find out would be to check the area planning portal to see if S.4 has been applied to other applications - but no - it seems the planning application list for my council has been out of service for nearly 2 weeks now "unknown page error". 
    The Appraisal document was published in 2008 - in it, it specifically says there is no S.4 but I can't find out if one has been conferred since. Just going round and round in circles  - I'll have to wait and try again next week I guess. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback