Is this a genuine email or a scam?

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but wasnt sure where to post this question.
I have just had 2 emails supposidly from Netflix headed 'New sign ih to your account'. Both emails are the same and say 'We have noticed a new sign in on your account on an Android phone, Location Serbia'. If this is you then enjoying watching, if not we recommend you change your password at once'.
Do these sound like genuine emails? They show as coming from info@mailer.Netflix.com.

Comments

• wannabe_a_saver
    Options
    Could be genuine, not as obvious as many scams are.
    Most important question, do you have a Netflix account?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had one recently saying a sign in attempt from  Zanzibar.  Off course they are scams.  If you want to change your password go into Netflix how you would normally, not on any link from any e mail.
  • swingaloo2
    swingaloo2 Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, have Netflix through Sky.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 820 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's the normal address for Netflix, but people can spoof them. Usually scammers would be after card details, not advising you to change your password though. There's no harm in going to Netflix.com directly and changing your password there - that way if it's genuine whoever has got your password will be booted out, and if you don't click any links from the email it doesn't matter if it's someone trying to get your details. 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 March 2021 at 8:57PM
    Options
    Scam
    1. They spelled in as ih 
    2. Let me guess they have a link for you to click and change your password - on a PC or laptop, move your cursor over the link, look on bottom of your browser, dead giveaway it's not Netflix web address.

If in doubt, feel free to log in Netflix, not from the link in the email.
  • wannabe_a_saver
    Options
    As above, no harm in changing your Netflix password to be on the safe side, but do it by going direct to the netflix site from your browser, not by clicking on any links in the email.
  • swingaloo2
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, Ive just done as you suggest and changed password with Netflix without using the email link.
    Thanks.
  • swingaloo2
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Def a scam I think as I have just changed my password (did it direct through Netflix, not used a link) and now have yet another email saying Stockport rather than Serbia.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get at least one of these emails each week. I don't even have a Netflix account! We do have it, but it's in my son's name, my email address isn't linked to it, and I don't even know the password. Definitely a scam.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, Ive just done as you suggest and changed password with Netflix without using the email link.
    Thanks.
    If you ever need to change a password for anything this is what you need to do, NEVER click links asking you do do anything like that x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback