Details asked when activating a HSBC debit card?

Options
Notepad_Phil
Notepad_Phil Posts: 1,379 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 28 March 2021 at 10:19PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
I have a rather anxious friend who has just received a replacement debit card and is worried that if they phone up the number that is on the letter to activate it then that it will ask for some detail that they don't have easy access to e.g. what their balance was on a specific date or something like that which means they should have kept their statements for the last 6 months. They are currently shielding so they can't get to an atm to do it that way and they don't trust the internet so they can't log on.

I've never had a HSBC account so don't know for sure but I reckon that they'll probably only be asked to enter the debit card number along with their date of birth. Is there anyone out there who could confirm that, or if not that then what are they likely to be asked.

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From memory it's just an automated line - you're not asked any questions by a human. (Could have confused with other bank's processes!) 
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 March 2021 at 11:43PM
    Options
    They won't be asking questions  they do not know the answer to. Your friend can also use online banking or the HSBC app to activate the card. It's a simple thing to do, they just want to be sure the card has been received and activated by the account holder. They check this via the secure key, or the biometrics in the app.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/card-support/activating-your-card/
  • Notepad_Phil
    Notepad_Phil Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2021 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately they're old school in their banking so no app, online access, etc. In the past they've been able to go to a cash machine to activate a new card by just entering their pin, but with shielding that's not an option and they're anxious about what the leaflet says about asking them personal details if they ring to do the activation.

If they know exactly what's going to happen then they're fine and I'm absolutely sure that they'd have no problem with any answers that they're asked, but I doubt that will persuade them to overcome their anxiety that they might be asked something they're not expecting, so unfortunately they're probably going to delay the activation until either they absolutely have to (e.g. because they need to do some online access with it, which thankfully seems to be very infrequent) or until they feel able to go outside, which hopefully won't be too many months.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    It's automated. I can't even remember what was asked of me but it was over in no time. 
    Phone the number, if they don't like the question then put the phone down.

Job done. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2021 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Remember if they start asking for details on any phone call and you are not happy....

Who is in control of the call? YOU ARE... Just end the call.....

But as above it is/was a automated line. So i  think it asks for card no & exp.
    Life in the slow lane
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Remember if they start asking for details on any phone call and you are not happy....

Who is in control of the call? YOU ARE... Just end the call.....

But as above it is/was a automated line. So i  think it asks for card no & exp.
    It's got to want more information than that.  Anyone intercepting a card would have that much knowledge.
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    from memory - it was a while ago - they ask for dob and the numbers from your postcode

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback