Grinding teeth problem

Hi. At a recent visit to the dentist, everything was generally fine, but she suggested I am probably grinding my teeth at night.  There is wear on a crowned tooth and other things that indicate this.  I know I used to grind my teeth when I was young, but hadn’t realised I started again (I’m 51 yrs of age).  
I thought after the appointment, I should have asked whether a gumshield type thing might be of use but didn’t occur to me at the time. 
Anyone have experience of this or know someone and how it was dealt with?

Thanks
T..

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    What did your dentist suggest was done about it?

Tooth grinding is a very stress-related condition - and we are currently in very stressful times! I've seen loads of patients with various symptoms associated with it recently. The thing is that in the short-term, it's not likely to do very much harm, so probably best just to make pt aware you've spotted it, and just monitor and see if it just stops by itself. 

There are various appliances that could help, but may not be worth the expense if the problem sorts itself out in a few months. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 March 2021 at 1:33PM
    I became a grinder as a mature student at uni, I would lie awake in bed absolutely rigid & my jaw ached so badly from the grinding.   Anyway I bought a gum shield (it was too big) which made me gagg so much that I was almost doubled up with gagging.  I thought it was actually quite funny at the time, but no else did.  

A few years ago my dentist made me one & although there was no gagglng this time but I couldn't stop swallowing which caused me to keep burping & feel sick, which wasn't good when I was trying to sleep so I gave up on it.  

I just can't seem to stop grinding as I'm totally unaware that I'm doing it, if I do realise I stop, but then start again without realising ....  Apparently I do it in my sleep too.

You have nothing to lose by trying a gum shield, good luck! 
  • Toothsmith
    It's best not to just buy an 'off the shelf' mould to fit one.  They are at best useless (As you found DUKE) or can make things worse. If you need something, then it's best to get something properly made by your dentist. If you've not been recommended that you should have something, then don't just try anything.
    The instruction I tend to give my patients is that for the first few nights to wear the appliance during the evening before they go to bed as well. That way, you will be a little more used to it before you actually try to go to sleep. Once your mouth has got used to it, then you will find it's quite easy to just slip in before you go to bed. If the more simple type doesn't work for you, there are other types that can be made - and if you are a committed tooth grinder, it really is worth sticking with and finding something you can wear. 
    Tooth grinding can destroy your teeth - have a read of the 'Anyone got All On 4 Implants?' thread. My suspicion is the OP on that thread is a tooth grinder who has not had the issue addressed. 

But for the OP on this thread - if the dentist doesn't feel it's a serious problem at the moment - then be reassured and let it just be monitored.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • I grind my teeth too! Although not my back teeth, but my front teeth, and I'm awake when I do it. I don't realise I'm doing it while I'm doing it, until something triggers awareness. I don't rub them together very hard but sort of rub my front teeth together, while my bottom jaw goes side to side. Difficult to explain. I need to stop! I don't want to wear my teeth right down. Thankfully, I have two cousins who are dentists, so will be speaking to them for advice; thanks for this post as you've just reminded me to do that.
  • Tomc
    Tomc Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thank you Toothsmith, Duke and hob_nob_bob for your replies. My dentist did say we would monitor it but did not offer solid solutions (I still think she a great dentist btw).  Will get in touch and see what she advises re having a mould made.. worried if it might make me gag, I gag sometimes trying to brush my back teeth...
    Unfortunately it probably is stress related , but not due to current circumstances covid has presented. Glad this acted as a reminder to get advise from the cousins. 
    And good luck to you too..
    I’ll make a point of looking at the thread recommended. 

Thanks again.. 👍
  • Tomc said:
    Thank you Toothsmith, Duke and hob_nob_bob for your replies. My dentist did say we would monitor it but did not offer solid solutions (I still think she a great dentist btw).  Will get in touch and see what she advises re having a mould made.. worried if it might make me gag, I gag sometimes trying to brush my back teeth...
    Unfortunately it probably is stress related , but not due to current circumstances covid has presented. Glad this acted as a reminder to get advise from the cousins. 
    And good luck to you too..
    I’ll make a point of looking at the thread recommended. 

Thanks again.. 👍
    If you do struggle with the guard at first, they can be adjusted.  My dentist took mine back and sent it away to have it thinned and cut back a bit and its much easier for me to tolerate now. 
  • teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am 70years old and a week ago I awoke to find I am deaf in my right ear. The doctor tells me it may be permanent and could be due to wear and tear on my jaw something called TMJ . My wife told me for many years that I grind my teeth in my sleep and I ignored it.
    I am also suffering from severe tinnitus. Please do not make my mistake do what ever you need to do to stop grinding your teeth. I am now terrified I will suffer a loss of hearing in my left ear. I am awaiting tests to see if a hearing aid will work.
  • Toothsmith
    teamgb said:
    I am 70years old and a week ago I awoke to find I am deaf in my right ear. The doctor tells me it may be permanent and could be due to wear and tear on my jaw something called TMJ . My wife told me for many years that I grind my teeth in my sleep and I ignored it.
    I am also suffering from severe tinnitus. Please do not make my mistake do what ever you need to do to stop grinding your teeth. I am now terrified I will suffer a loss of hearing in my left ear. I am awaiting tests to see if a hearing aid will work.
    Permanent hearing loss from jaw problems is not very likely. (TMJ is just the name of the joint - The TemperoMandibylar Joint (TMJ)  - TMJ Disfunction is the name of the condition, or TMJ Dysfunction Syndrome, as it can encapsulate a whole basketful of symptoms) 

Whilst Drs can sometimes diagnose it accurately, it's not really their area of expertise, and seeing your dentist is the better way to get it diagnosed and treated, or referred up to a dentist with a greater level of specialty with the problem if necessary.
    How to find a dentist.
  • Tomc
    Tomc Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    teamgb said:
    Permanent hearing loss from jaw problems is not very likely. (TMJ is just the name of the joint - The TemperoMandibylar Joint (TMJ)  - TMJ Disfunction is the name of the condition, or TMJ Dysfunction Syndrome, as it can encapsulate a whole basketful of symptoms) 

Whilst Drs can sometimes diagnose it accurately, it's not really their area of expertise, and seeing your dentist is the better way to get it diagnosed and treated, or referred up to a dentist with a greater level of specialty with the problem if necessary.
    Thanks very much for your input Toothsmith. I will speak to my dentist when I speak to her next (Thursday) and will mention what you said.
    kind regards
     T.
  • Definite get a mouth guard. you never know how much you're grinding or when, could be recent but who knows when it stops and definitely get it from a dentist. I've grind my teeth for years and every time i change my dentists they know straight away as I even have marks on my inside my cheeks from when i didn't have a guard...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback